Trusted Contributor

SS# asked to receive Covid vaccine

My daughter received her Covid vaccine shot yesterday through University Healthcare System at a San Antonio site. On the app she had to fill out they asked for her SS#.  The vaccine is free why would they askfor that?  Anyone know or had this happen to them?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SS# asked to receive Covid vaccine

Do they need an SSN to report it to your local Health Dept?

Among other databases?

Honored Contributor

I hope she didn't give her SS#....it's none of the states business.   DH has had his shot, they did not ask for his social number.

Respected Contributor

If I recall, we had to do that to set up accounts on mychart.com(medical portal) to register for the vaccine. Even though the shots are free, if you have insurance they will bill for them. We had no issues or concerns about the process.

Honored Contributor

I have heard some vacc sites are asking for it, some are not,ours did not, some are asking just for the last 4 numbers. Ours did ask for ethnicity which I didnt think was necessary. 

Honored Contributor

It's free to us, but the providers get paid and they need some federally accepted ID.  Mine was a Medicare #.

Trusted Contributor

nobody asked for mine.  They asked for a photo id to prove I lived in Florida because so many that don't live here were coming in to get vaccines but other than that they asked for nothing other than name address and phone number and the regular form you fill out like when you get your flu shot.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I hope she didn't give her SS#....it's none of the states business.   DH has had his shot, they did not ask for his social number.

Agreed!  She really doesn't have to give out her SS #.

I'm having oral surgery done and on the many forms of info they asked for my SS# too.  I left it blank since they don't need to know and we're told to protect your number always.

Respected Contributor

Both of my Moderna vaccine shots were through my government employee insurance. We had to complete and sign a short form with the usual health questions and the last four digits of our social security number both times. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@WORKING GAL  DH and i also received ours through University Health in San Antonio (at Wonderland).  They only asked us for the last 4 of our SS number, and that was when we signed up on-line for the first appointment.  Oh, and they did not ask for insurance info, which I would have questioned. 

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix