Honored Contributor

Re: SS / SSI / SSDI increase

@esmerelda wrote:

You started working at 20.  Finished HS and college early?

@esmerelda

Yes, plus I started working (recruited on campus actually) p/t for the FG while in college. It was the private sector when I worked out of state yet, lived in another.

As for your other comments about the Fed requirement age, I don't know what to tell you other than I & many others who were offered the oppertunity to do so took it!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

You started working at 20.  Finished HS and college early?

@esmerelda

Yes, plus I started working (recruited on campus actually) p/t for the FG while in college. It was the private sector when I worked out of state yet, lived in another.

As for your other comments about the Fed requirement age, I don't know what to tell you other than I & many others who were offered the oppertunity to do so took it!

@Mz iMac Ok. Since you were “given the opportunity” it was not retirement based on age but was due to a reduction in force or downsizing and your retirement money was affected. There is a percent deducted for each year you are below full retirement age. 

The SS benefit and who pays your health insurance...topics for another day. I’ve got stuff to do. 

Have a great day and hope you’re enjoying retirement!

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda - my father had his time in for his pension benefits but was too young when that happened and had to wait until he was 55.

Honored Contributor

@Teddixat  I am not going to get into a heated discussion about this but I am on SS and Medicare.  I worked 50 plus years and paid into SS.  Its MY money, the government is not giving me anything.  Oh and I pay a monthly premium for Medicare.  So make sure you understand before you post such a comment.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I'm happy about the increase.  Every litle bit helps.

No complaints from me!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@Teddixat  I am not going to get into a heated discussion about this but I am on SS and Medicare.  I worked 50 plus years and paid into SS.  Its MY money, the government is not giving me anything.  Oh and I pay a monthly premium for Medicare.  So make sure you understand before you post such a comment.

@Imaoldhippie You may be right for now;  but add up your contributions over your 50 years and maybe even assign an interest rate comparable to what you’d be getting at a bank...1 or 1.5%. Then add up your payments as they come in...so you’ll know at what point you are getting the money someone else contributed. And maybe say thank you. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda.......your right SOMEONE ELSE contributed NOT the government.  Which was my whole point of my original post.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

It's all good news.

I just received the new book for my Advantage plan and the co-pays went down, prescription stayed the same.   I'm also getting an allowance for OTC meds.    That's helpful, I take Vit D & calcium daily.

@Lynnster67 wrote:

Based on the most recent actuarial report, the standard Medicare premium is expected to increase by $1.50/mo, to $135.50/mo.  If you have Medicare Advantage, those premiums are expected to decrease by 6% on average.

So you should be able to keep most of your COLA in 2019.  The exception being for ppl who aren't already paying the std prem of $134 (like my mom) - their premiums will increase by more than the $1.50/mo until you are caught up.

You will receive the official notice in late Nov/early Dec.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

Thank you @Cakers3,

You made my point with a better choice of words. In these cases I or others should not have that choice, that should be made by a Medical Team of all fields for Disability. Not a clerk or a bureaucrat.

Any organization/corporation or government run entity, in my opinion, is only as good as those that run it. In this case? Pete borrowed from Paul, but Paul got the stuff to borrow from a "supposed untouchable lock box", IE- SS., and thus the present problems.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut  Hi John;  I'm pretty sure that applicants have to be evaluated by medical doctors; the type of doctor depending upon the type of disability.  I know in my neck of the woods it isn't a clerk making the determination.

The applicant will bring in their own documentation from their own doctors but still have to see a doctor assigned by SSDI.

I agree some do slip through somehow but maybe those states do not have SSDI doctors making decisions.

I know to get a HP plate/placard years ago all you needed was a doctor's note.

Now one has to be evaluated by an independent physician.

It can be a hassle for the truly disabled but it helps to weed out the scammers.

Hope all is going well for you and Cindy.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

@Hippiified wrote:

@luvmybeetle wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

@SeaMaiden

The COLA (Cost of Living Adjustment) for 2019 is 2.8%.

For retirees plus Supplemental Security Income, disability, and survivor beneficiaries

Positive news, as even the smallest amount of extra money is something to be thankful for. 

They will do what they did last time... raise my medicare costs... so I end up with nothing more....

@SeaMaiden That is exactly what happened to me last year.  They gave me a raise and then raised my medicare payment.  I cannot believe those of us on SS get FAKE raises.

It is part of the law that when medicare is increased, they must raise your SS by that amount to cover it.

Actually, the SS isn't raised to cover the premium increase, but the affected beneficiaries pay less than the full Part B premium.

"An estimated 2 million Medicare beneficiaries (about 3.5 percent) will pay less than the full Part B standard monthly premium amount in 2019 due to the statutory hold harmless provision, which limits certain beneficiaries’ increase in their Part B premium to be no greater than the increase in their Social Security benefits."

https://www.cms.gov/newsroom/press-releases/cms-announces-2019-medicare-parts-b-premiums-and-deducti...