Honored Contributor

Re: SS / SSI / SSDI increase

Ladies! I was more on the line of those(a few that I know) on SS Disability for a bad back! Huh?? And offspring of those that never worked a day in their lives. If I have to explain the "specific" who? I can name 2 that I know worked for 5 years, or less, and have been on SSDI ever since because of lesser back injuries than I have suffered. Did I apply? He!! no!

Peace

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@luvmybeetle wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

@SeaMaiden

The COLA (Cost of Living Adjustment) for 2019 is 2.8%.

For retirees plus Supplemental Security Income, disability, and survivor beneficiaries

Positive news, as even the smallest amount of extra money is something to be thankful for. 

They will do what they did last time... raise my medicare costs... so I end up with nothing more....

@SeaMaiden That is exactly what happened to me last year.  They gave me a raise and then raised my medicare payment.  I cannot believe those of us on SS get FAKE raises.

It is part of the law that when medicare is increased, they must raise your SS by that amount to cover it.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

Ladies! I was more on the line of those(a few that I know) on SS Disability for a bad back! Huh?? And offspring of those that never worked a day in their lives. If I have to explain the "specific" who? I can name 2 that I know worked for 5 years, or less, and have been on SSDI ever since because of lesser back injuries than I have suffered. Did I apply? He!! no!

Peace

hckynut(john)

@hckynut   But John-that is your choice. 

People will take advantage of a system that allows them to do so.  If the system isn't run well enough to weed out scammers, the scammers will continue to take advantage.

Sad.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

The government never gave anyone anything

As a Fed gov retiree, all my medical costs are taken care of on their dime.

@Mz iMac Unless you have some special circumstances, that’s not likely.

No special circumstances.  Unless you call taking full retirement at the age of 50 special.

Like I previously stated, unknown if their "take care of their own" retirement policy is still the same.  I never paid into SS while working for the FEDS.  In my late teens & college, I did put in enough working credits when I worked in the private sector to collect SS when I turned 65.  Not much.  Better than nothing!

Current age:  68

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac  I know its not you but I am not sure who said retired Federal Employees have free healhcare, this is not true. My DH is about to retired from the Federal Gov't after 30 years + of service and he will have to pay around $300 for his supplemental insurance for both of us, $300 is no where near free

@Mz iMac wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

No special circumstances.  Unless you call taking full retirement at the age of 50 special.

Like I previously stated, unknown if their "take care of their own" retirement policy is still the same.  I never paid into SS while working for the FEDS.  In my late teens & college, I did put in enough working credits when I worked in the private sector to collect SS when I turned 65.  Not much.  Better than nothing!

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@Mz iMacLike @I am still oxox 's DH, the Federal retirees I know pay for their health care (supplement and medicare).

Full retirement at age 50?  Not usually.  Disability?  Downsized?  Even downsized would be reduced.  I think disability too.

I wonder now about what you've said about your SS.  

A "quarter" for SS purposes is a dollar amount (currently $1320 in covered earnings), not a period of time.  And you can earn at most four quarters/credits per year.  So you have to work at least 10 years to earn enough quarters, more if you don't earn four quarters each year.

Between late teens and during college isn't 10 years; unless, again, there are special circumstances, e.g., you were in college more than four years.  Also, the late teen years and some college years overlap.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Thank you @Cakers3,

You made my point with a better choice of words. In these cases I or others should not have that choice, that should be made by a Medical Team of all fields for Disability. Not a clerk or a bureaucrat.

Any organization/corporation or government run entity, in my opinion, is only as good as those that run it. In this case? Pete borrowed from Paul, but Paul got the stuff to borrow from a "supposed untouchable lock box", IE- SS., and thus the present problems.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda

Not sure how my SS was calculated as I did not work in the private sector for 10 yrs.  I did work out of state but lived in another.  May have something to do w/it.  I was shocked when I received letters from my pension fund as well SS about the $$$.

As for retiring at 50, I already had 30 yrs in.  FWIW.....

My father also retired at 50 from the Fed Government w/full bennies.  However, he never received Medicare.  So, somewhere along the way, SS benefit laws for Fed retirees were modified and/or changed.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMacDoubt it.  

Minimum Retirement Age

The minimum retirement age is 57 for much of the federal workforce, although employees who were born before 1970 can retire a little earlier. How much earlier depends on exactly how old they are. The lowest minimum retirement age is 55 for workers born before 1948. Here's how it breaks down.

Two months are added for each subsequent birth year from 1948 through 1952. For example, those born in 1948 would reach minimum retirement age at 55 and two months. Those born in 1950 would reach minimum retirement age at 55 and six months.

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/what-is-the-fers-minimum-retirement-age-1669787

Yes, this article talks about FERS.  But that wasn't available until the 80's so it wouldn't have covered your dad.  And whether you were under FERS or not, the minimum retirement age for someone born in 1950 was at least 55.  States lived in and worked in don't matter.  There's only one Federal Government. 

You started working at 20.  Finished HS and college early?

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

Thank you @Cakers3,

You made my point with a better choice of words. In these cases I or others should not have that choice, that should be made by a Medical Team of all fields for Disability. Not a clerk or a bureaucrat.

Any organization/corporation or government run entity, in my opinion, is only as good as those that run it. In this case? Pete borrowed from Paul, but Paul got the stuff to borrow from a "supposed untouchable lock box", IE- SS., and thus the present problems.

hckynut(john)

@hckynutIt's called "job security" for the clerks and bureaucrats.  And there are lawyers who specialize in getting disability money for people.  Some people genuinely qualify and I'm sorry they have to go through so much to get it.  Others should be ashamed.

Keepin' it real.