Respected Contributor

Re: SS / SSI / SSDI increase

@Sooner wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

The government never gave anyone anything

@Imaoldhippie  Au contraire mon chere!  They give away our tax dollars at an astonishing rate. 

Here's where it goes:

medicare.png

Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@

@Snowpuppy

And!! It's original intent was for those who actually paid into SS. Now it's for SSI/Disability/Survivors, and who knows what else. Used for it's original intended purpose, it would still have a few trillion, in the "Pay out to only those that put in" lock box. 

hn

Can you be sure that SSI/Disability recipients never contributed? Should we cut out survivors because they took care of the home and children while a spouse worked?

Most people will overshoot what they contributed to social security if they live a long life. Most people will far outspend their medicare contribution as well.

Maybe we should consider only paying out what you paid in, and after that you're on your own both monthly income- wise and health insurance-wise.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@MoJoV wrote:

The problem of SS going "broke" could be easily solved.  Raise the cap on when they stop taking out of your salary.  I believe it's now after $150,000 or 155,000 they no longer take out.  If one is making that money one can afford to still pay in.  Just my take. Also,have our "leaders" both parties keep out of the funds.

@MoJoV

BINGO !!!    Yes, that would solve a great deal of the problem with future funding.   SS deductions are really a mere pittance, and continuing deductions regardless of income level is the most "painless" solution anyone has come up with yet.

AMEN! This would create instant solvency. Many have been asking for this for years now. But when it comes to the wealthy, our leaders will not ask them to pay more. In fact, they will look for ways to give them more.

Honored Contributor

hooray for ss increase.

wonder how much will be given to medicare of the my huge raise?? 

i have not heard how much medicare will increase for me.  

Honored Contributor

@viva923 wrote:

wonder how much will be given to medicare of the my huge raise?? 

i have not heard how much medicare will increase for me.  

@viva923

Medicare recipiants will be notified by mail beginning in November-December.

In the meantime, go to the SSA website.

Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at Fri, Oct 12, 2018-4.33.09 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-12 at Fri, Oct 12, 2018-4.33.43 PM.png

medicare.gov/your-medicare-costs/part-b-costs

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Why would a couple making $170,000 a year pay the same amount as a couple making $50,000 a year? I would think there should be a lower price for a lower threshold. $170,000 is a lot. Doesn't seem fair.

Trusted Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@MoJoV wrote:

The problem of SS going "broke" could be easily solved.  Raise the cap on when they stop taking out of your salary.  I believe it's now after $150,000 or 155,000 they no longer take out.  If one is making that money one can afford to still pay in.  Just my take. Also,have our "leaders" both parties keep out of the funds.

@MoJoV

BINGO !!!    Yes, that would solve a great deal of the problem with future funding.   SS deductions are really a mere pittance, and continuing deductions regardless of income level is the most "painless" solution anyone has come up with yet.

AMEN! This would create instant solvency. Many have been asking for this for years now. But when it comes to the wealthy, our leaders will not ask them to pay more. In fact, they will look for ways to give them more.

Just to be clear the government doesn't give rich people anything. It's the rich people's money and the government takes it from them or doesn't.

The reason they capped the amount was it wasn't considered fair for anyone to pay in a huge amount that they would never be able to recoup.

And for people that said SS is scam or isn't I think the point is when it started life expectancy was aroudn 62 or 63. Easy to maintain if no one ever collects. Now it's around 80.

Honored Contributor

@bathina wrote:

Why would a couple making $170,000 a year pay the same amount as a couple making $50,000 a year? I would think there should be a lower price for a lower threshold. $170,000 is a lot. Doesn't seem fair.

@bathina  It isn't fair.  The contribution should be on a sliding fee scale.  Some folks on SS live on so much less than $50,000. too.  However, there is a Medicare Savings program which varies by state to help with that premium, co-pays, deductible, etc. for those on straight Medicare, although the premium help is available to all who pay into Part B.

I've also mentioned many times that the SS cap should be removed.  Unfortunatey, "national average wages" are used to calculate the cap, along with whether or not there was a COLA for SS.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@MoJoV wrote:

@MoJoV

Just to be clear the government doesn't give rich people anything. It's the rich people's money and the government takes it from them or doesn't.

The reason they capped the amount was it wasn't considered fair for anyone to pay in a huge amount that they would never be able to recoup.

And for people that said SS is scam or isn't I think the point is when it started life expectancy was aroudn 62 or 63. Easy to maintain if no one ever collects. Now it's around 80.

The government passes laws that give rich people A LOT. Including a huge tax cut. The rich can afford to pay more and they should. If they are moral and ethical they believe they should contribute and do so in ways that are not government imposed. They are the recipients of all those things that made them rich in the first place. Public roads and infrastructure, employees who are educated on the public dime, clean water which is paid for through tax dollars and a host of other benefits one gets from living in this country.

Ask Bill Gates and his multi-billionaire friends if they think they should be paying more. The answer is a resounding yes.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@

The government never gave anyone anything

As a Fed gov retiree, all my medical costs are taken care of on their dime.

@Mz iMac

I always thought federal government employees had a good retirement plan, never thought that all medical expenses, using your words: "taken on their dime". I am stunned! While I can be happy for you, it certainly moves me more in the direction I have always felt. Wow!!!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)