Respected Contributor

SPAM: AMERICAN EXPRESS CREDIT CARD

This one slipped through the Apple protection:  it is an email purporting to be from American Express Credit card and wanting account info once you click on their link.

it looks better than most; however, there is a strange format construction where it tells you what to do.

laughable:  We do NOT have an American Express Card.  Forwarded the span to .gov.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Re: SPAM: AMERICAN EXPRESS CREDIT CARD

Thanks for the heads up. We own one but haven’t used it in years. Be anxious to see if I get an email.

Honored Contributor

Even if you have an American Express card, NEVER click the links in an email.

Esteemed Contributor

It's such a misnomer that Apple is safe and secure! It was explained to me by our tech people at work -- since there are fewer Apple products 'out there'  the security breaches seem marginal.

Trusted Contributor

We've been getting that same email the passed couple months.  We had an American Express card with Costco before the went to Citi.  

The format is strange and the wording on some of the emails has obvious grammar mistakes.  

I have seen so many of these fake emails I immediately send them to the fraud department for whatever company they are trying to be so it can be investigated.

Respected Contributor

I had received a couple of these emails and knew they weren't from Amex.  I also noticed a spelling error. 

I feel sorry for people who get caught up by these scammers.  I hadn't used that card since Costco switched over and at that time it was closed.  I thought maybe somehow Paypal had a breach because it was still listed there as a backup card on my Paypal account and the scam email showed up shortly after I recently took the time to delete the dead card from Paypal.

Honored Contributor

@mimomof4

@mimomof4 wrote:

We've been getting that same email the passed couple months.  We had an American Express card with Costco before the went to Citi.  

The format is strange and the wording on some of the emails has obvious grammar mistakes.  

I have seen so many of these fake emails I immediately send them to the fraud department for whatever company they are trying to be so it can be investigated.

How do you do that.I would like to be able to do it also.

Honored Contributor

I’ve seen this one. Thanks for giving us a head up.

Trusted Contributor

@dex wrote:

@mimomof4

@mimomof4 wrote:

How do you do that.I would like to be able to do it also.

Sometimes you can find the email on a companies website by searching for fraud.  I  have called customer service for the particular company or did online chat.  They give me the fraud email which is usually something like fraud or abuse @companyX.com (example the one for chase is abuse@chase.com).  Now everytime I get a fraud email I immediately forward it on.

Trusted Contributor

I've gotten a bunch of these lately. They struck me as phishing, so I just deleted them. I do have an Amex card.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004