Respected Contributor

Re: SOUTH AFRICAN STATE VISIT MIGHT BRING OUT SOME GOOD BRITISH TIARAS

@Kachina624 wrote:

I vote for the turquoise.  The world needs more turquoise tiaras.  Every girl should have one.

@Kachina624   Definitely!   I would love one!

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Respected Contributor

@Oznell  Fabulous post! Thanks so much.  A lot of flashbacks of the Royals South African trips are coming up on my FB page from The Court Jeweler. 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  What a delight after a good meal--to open your thread.  It reads (as always) like a delicious dessert.

I love when I see one of your threads!  Always interesting.  You have such a knack for writing, too.  

Okay, about the tiarras....lol.  They are all beautiful.  I love the fact that Margaret's wasn't *inherited*.  Therefore, she chose to be photographed wearing it--in the tub.  She probably would've caught heck from here sister if she used a *royal* tiarra.  Go Margaret!

Respected Contributor

@ScarletDove wrote:

@Oznell 

Oznell, once again you are gifting us with information and great pictures of gems...thank you.  I much prefer the smaller, more dignified classy tiaras.  But, those magnificent pictures of Queen Mary are absolutely stunning...that pearl/gem choker shows her class and dignity...amazing!  Do not see much use of chokers by royalty, but if I remember, Princess Diana did wear a great choker of sapphires/pearls with a stunning blue dress on a special occasion, such a great, classy look!  Do not recall if she wore a tiara, just taken back by the choker and dress.  Remember seeing her several times wearing a classy choker and also another time in a gem headband...stunning!

I think I remember her wearing a smashing choker during her dance with John Travolta. She looked like he'd swept her off her feet...

Honored Contributor

That's a good question you pose about the weight of these, @Tinkrbl44 .   I don't know, but it's often mentioned that crowns, as opposed to tiaras, are very heavy.

I have heard that the Imperial State Crown of Great Britain is about 2.3 outright pounds (as opposed to the carat weight of the stones.)

Imperial_State_Crown.png

Of course, it could be worse, because part of it is just velvet and ermine, and "air", ha.  But it has over 2000 precious stones alone, plus the gold, silver and platinum structure.

I think the St. Edward's Crown, weighs even more, at almost 5 pounds.

main-qimg-d75ad02d1b935dc14e91f69145a448f1-pjlq.jpg

I bet when you get to a densely diamond studded tiara, like the Greville tiara, that it is very heavy for its size.  It is pretty much all diamonds and then platinum, which is a heavy metal:

Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 8.35.37 AM.png

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the tip about the Court Jeweler, @cindyNC !

You're absolutely right, @ScarletDove -- both Queen Mary and Diana had an affinity for, and looked beautiful in chokers.

26773e339c1a322bee6d593aa74eb735.jpg

1984-02-11.jpg

31928.jpg

Trusted Contributor

When will all of Africa just say no to these relics of colonialism? I don't understand how they can stomach the flaunting of stolen wealth.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Honored Contributor

They are all stunning and I would wear any of them.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I vote for the turquoise.  The world needs more turquoise tiaras.  Every girl should have one.

@Kachina624 

I disagree.  Every girl should have two turquoise tiaras.   

One formal tiara for important occasions, and a casual tiara for every day wear ... running errands, etc.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44    You're absolutely correct of course.  I used to have a picture of a tiara worn by Miss Indian World that was silver and turquoise which would serve as a model for 'casual wear'.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment