Super Contributor

Re: SORRY BUT - Deliberate snark or ?

[ Edited ]

I think people are missing the point.  Most people do not want to criticize or confront anyone and so to preface it with "sorry" or "I don't mean to sound rude" is just to soften the impact.  It's not meant to be passive aggressive or snarky in the least but to right a wrong that the other person has committed either unwittingly or on purpose.  And yes if you commit a faux pas, expect someone to correct you.  That person can then explain themselves and make the appropriate correction.  

Honored Contributor

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

To me, every single time I see a sentence on these forums that begins with "Sorry, but" it is a given that the rest of the sentence and most of the commentary in that post will be negatively snarky and/or flat out rude, either to the OP or to some other poster, whether the are replying specifically to someone by quoting them or not.

I don't think people actually believe that putting the "sorry" in there indicates that they are "sorry", I think people use it as a "passing" way to be rude - hey I did use the word sorry, you can't possibly call that rude. How is saying "sorry" rude, etc.

Pretty sure the only times I have used "sorry but" is in a parody of someone else using it.

It's like starting out a post with okay, gonna be rude here, hahaha.

I don't think "sorry" is the word that tells the tale..............gotta watch out for the "but"...........that's always an indicator, what the person is going to say is in direct opposition of what you may have written or think...............................................raven

Agreed. It's the "but" that is the tip-off.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

Sorry but has snark contained within by definition.  There is no way to recover from that fact.  When you see it coming - duck.  It will be a nasty attack.

@Still Raining  Case in point, right here on this thread!  Smiley Happy

@Lila Belle wrote:
Sorry, Pearley, "but.".. .we're ALL guilty at times. Some more than others.

Oy vey.  SMH.

Honored Contributor

@Moretofollow wrote:

I think people are missing the point.  Most people do not want to criticize or confront anyone and so to preface it with "sorry" or "I don't mean to sound rude" is just to soften the impact.  It's not meant to be passive aggressive or snarky in the least but to right a wrong that the other person has committed either unwittingly or on purpose.  And yes if you commit a faux pas, expect someone to correct you.  That person can then explain themselves and make the appropriate correction.  

Missing the point? The point of the OP is that people DO want to criticize and confront and "sorry but" (NOT just sorry, which is, um, what the thread has been about) IS meant to be passive aggressive and snarky. Yes there are people who say sorry without the but, and even a few who might say "sorry but" and modify it so people understand it wasn't meant to be rude. But on the internet, most people do mean "sorry but" to be sarcastic.

Super Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Moretofollow wrote:

Missing the point? The point of the OP is that people DO want to criticize and confront and "sorry but" (NOT just sorry, which is, um, what the thread has been about) IS meant to be passive aggressive and snarky. Yes there are people who say sorry without the but, and even a few who might say "sorry but" and modify it so people understand it wasn't meant to be rude. But on the internet, most people do mean "sorry but" to be sarcastic.

@Moonchilde I guess I should have said in a civilized world.  

Honored Contributor

@Moretofollow wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Moretofollow wrote:

@Moonchilde I guess I should have said in a civilized world.  

Ah, the internet will never be civilized ;-)

Valued Contributor

"All my friends have big buts."

- Pee Wee Herman, Pee Wee's Big Adventure

Valued Contributor

Somebody mentioned this thread on another thread.

I think "sorry, but" is insincere.

Valued Contributor

@sallybusky wrote:

"All my friends have big buts."

- Pee Wee Herman, Pee Wee's Big Adventure

Lol!

Honored Contributor

Sorry, but I disagree.

This is not a snark.