Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: SORRY BUT - Deliberate snark or ?

Yikes, @Desertdi!  This is so out of line of her.  Talk about openng mouth w/out engaging brain.  

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours brighter.
Honored Contributor

@3cupcakes wrote:

Yikes, @Desertdi!  This is so out of line of her.  Talk about openng mouth w/out engaging brain.  

@3cupcakes    I was pretty shocked at the time......even "thought" about asking for the store manager.........but I ducked and ran.    Actually, I was speechless...........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

A couple years ago, the check-out clerk at Albertson's said to me (without any "sorry" preface), "You could do a lot better at fixing your hair."    They permanently lost a customer.......................

What??? 

oh my...she should do a lot better at shutting up!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Kind of like "I don't mean to be rude but..."  I think when a subject that is not easy to broach but is completely justified, one can pretty much predict the outcome.  Better to say nothing at all and walk away.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Deliberate snark. It's akin to "I don't want to intrude, but...."  or "This may not be ANY of my business, but..."

It's a passive aggressive way of speaking. Years ago, in High School, a teacher informed the class that any time a person says "however" or "but" after a few words, it cancels out what they initially are saying. Example:

"I'm SO sorry but you knew that was going to happen".

"I love that dress on you, but it isn't the most flattering".

"That's a great idea, however, I think it should be done this way".

It makes you think more carefully about what is truly being said.

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

A couple years ago, the check-out clerk at Albertson's said to me (without any "sorry" preface), "You could do a lot better at fixing your hair."    They permanently lost a customer.......................

@Desertdi

Smiley others 080.gif

They should have lost an employee, instead of a customer! If that had been said to me, I'd have gone straight to management!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@Desertdi ********I am so very sorry!  That is totally inexcuseable!

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry but has snark contained within by definition.  There is no way to recover from that fact.  When you see it coming - duck.  It will be a nasty attack.

Honored Contributor

Still Raining wrote:

Sorry but has snark contained within by definition.  There is no way to recover from that fact.  When you see it coming - duck.  It will be a nasty attack.

@Still Raining  Case in point, right here on this thread!  Smiley Happy

Lila Belle wrote:
Sorry, Pearley, "but.".. .we're ALL guilty at times. Some more than others.

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

To me, every single time I see a sentence on these forums that begins with "Sorry, but" it is a given that the rest of the sentence and most of the commentary in that post will be negatively snarky and/or flat out rude, either to the OP or to some other poster, whether the are replying specifically to someone by quoting them or not.

I don't think people actually believe that putting the "sorry" in there indicates that they are "sorry", I think people use it as a "passing" way to be rude - hey I did use the word sorry, you can't possibly call that rude. How is saying "sorry" rude, etc.

Pretty sure the only times I have used "sorry but" is in a parody of someone else using it.

It's like starting out a post with okay, gonna be rude here, hahaha.

I don't think "sorry" is the word that tells the tale..............gotta watch out for the "but"...........that's always an indicator, what the person is going to say is in direct opposition of what you may have written or think...............................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo