Respected Contributor

SOCIAL SECURITY AND CREDIT FREEZE

Wanted to make a change to my Social Security on-line account.  Tried and tried.  Couldn't access it.  Was able to get through to a phone Customer Service Representative.  Turns out that when you have a credit freeze on your account, Social Security can't access it to verify your identity and won't let you do anythiing on-line.  Don't know if the same thing applies if you go to a local office.  I would have had to lift the freeze, then access my acount to make whatever changes I wanted, then put the freeze back on.

What a pain.

Regular Contributor

Re: SOCIAL SECURITY AND CREDIT FREEZE

While it might be a pain, a credit freeze is great protection.  Now you know it works!

Respected Contributor

I had the same issue last year. It was an inconvenience but the security freeze is worth it.

Honored Contributor

ITA that it’s totally worth it. A little inconvenience vs security, I can live with that.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I've been getting social security checks for almost two years. So what does it mean when you have a credit freeze? 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been getting checks for 12 years.  I was trying to get into my on-line account, and coudln't do it.  Apparently, Social Security uses an Identification Service to verify your identity when you do business on line.  The credit freeze prevents the service from accessing your record to confirm your identity.

The Social Security procedures are a pain.  The credit freeze is mandatory in today's world of identity theft.

Honored Contributor

@OKPrincess wrote:

I've been getting social security checks for almost two years. So what does it mean when you have a credit freeze? 

If someone puts out a credit freeze to their bank, CCs and the big credit agencies - which people do if they fear getting hacked, or their credit or ID stolen - then, if they have been going to the SS website to look at or change anything, they can no longer do so until they take the freeze off of everything, because clearly “you” are intending to protect your ID and SS can’t verify it’s “you” online. 

Super Contributor

I wasn't aware SS still sent checks.  I thought it was direct deposit only.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde Thank you for explaining to me.

Honored Contributor

@wingnut wrote:

I wasn't aware SS still sent checks.  I thought it was direct deposit only.

They haven’t sent paper checks via US Mail since 2013. It is either direct deposit to a bank account OR Direct Express debit card. If you don’t have a bank account, you sign up online or via phone with this company who acts on behalf of the SSA. Once they mail you your card and your account is set up, your SS “check” amount will be loaded onto the card every month and you don’t need to do anything more. You can check your balance on the site.

www.usdirectexpress dotcom