Honored Contributor

Re: SOCIAL SECURITY AND CREDIT FREEZE

A few weeks ago my husband asked me to find something out for him with SS and it wouldn't let me. 

I don't remember what the exact message was but it dawned on me that we did put a credit freeze into effect.

It wasn't important enough for him to lift the freeze.

Like another poster said, at least we know it's working.

Respected Contributor

I have a freeze on my credit and was able to sign on to the Social Security website today and access my earnings/estimated benefits statement. It's a "read only" PDF so I wouldn't be making any changes, but I was able to sign on and access it. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Super Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@wingnut wrote:

I wasn't aware SS still sent checks.  I thought it was direct deposit only.

They haven’t sent paper checks via US Mail since 2013. It is either direct deposit to a bank account OR Direct Express debit card. If you don’t have a bank account, you sign up online or via phone with this company who acts on behalf of the SSA. Once they mail you your card and your account is set up, your SS “check” amount will be loaded onto the card every month and you don’t need to do anything more. You can check your balance on the site.

www.usdirectexpress dotcom

Mine is direct deposit.  I was confused because someone said she had been "receiving checks".