Respected Contributor

Re: SO TELL US, WERE YOU A HOMECOMING QUEEN, CHEERLEADER, MAJORETTE???

I would haved like to do things at school even though I was shy.  We were poor and my parents believed anything but reading, writing and arithmatic was foolishness.  Get home and cook and clean.  I can spot an ex cheerleader a mile away.

Regular Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

I would haved like to do things at school even though I was shy.  We were poor and my parents believed anything but reading, writing and arithmatic was foolishness.  Get home and cook and clean.  I can spot an ex cheerleader a mile away.

I resent all the comments about cheerleaders. Not just yours, but other ones as well. I worked hard to be a cheerleader, didn't have boobs or the hair as someone else wrote. I didn't date in high school either.  I was also on homecoming court, student government, played clarinet in band, Tri HI Y, Beta Club, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, and was Miss blank blank High School. I was friends with alot of people, and still am, from all walks of life. I hate being put in a box by others.

Super Contributor

@tends2dogs  I was a majorette in high school and am now a baton twirling teacher.  Woman HappyHeart

Respected Contributor

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

i thought it would be fun and made the drill team one year . the uniform was a very short  dress with gold braided trim and epaulets. it was heavy and scratchy and we had to sit in the bleachers for the entire football games. so i only participated for that one season.

i had serious anxiety as a teen. i was in art classes and wanted to audition for school plays but i had a fear of just speaking in class.  i turned 10 shades of red and would melt into a puddle.   so funny how your entire world is just HS students and teachers and the class superlatives ran everything. and how insignificant those years were in the big picture.

Another girls' drill team here.  Loved it - except - for the cold weather during Ohio football games.  The band had much warmer uniforms.

Honored Contributor

Cheerleader in 6th grade for Flag Football.  Band for the next couple of years in Jr. High, then high kicked my way in white boots and tassels for drill team through out high school.  Loved the drill team and dancing on the football field during half time.  My favorite routine at a function in the gym was to "Fire" by the Ohio Players.  We even had red plastic firemen hats to wear with our red bloomers and red tennis shoes.  Brickhouse by the Commodores was another fun routine.  I loved high school.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I enjoyed high school very much. It was a small school. I believe 112 in our graduating class, 700+ in our whole JR-SR high school. Played every sport offered to girls at that time, softball co-captain, basketball, field hockey, etc., continued on into college. I did a small bit of modeling during my college days. I didn't like it at all so stopped. I was not shy or an extrovert, sort of in the middle somewhere. I had a lot of friends because of the sports/ activites I did. Still keep in touch with many of them today. During Prom I was chosen to be in the court (Prom Queen and her court). So my experience with high school and college was a positive one.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Great topic!  I enjoyed reading everyone's stories.

I was none of the above.  I was in the marching band (clarinet) and belonged to the pep squad (all the girls did, LOL).  

There were 3 groups of kids in school.  The popular kids, the mid group and the unpopular kids.  I was in the mid group.  I was nice to everyone though.

Edit:  I did truly do my best in school and was on the honor roll most of the time.  

Super Contributor

Yes, I was a cheerleader in college.  Pom pom squad, drill team flag twirler,  and homecoming queen in high school.  I wasn't in the snobby crowd, but the fun group.  Loved high school and college.  Had to work a lot too, but that made me who I am today!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was a  junior high cheerleader....in a very small school. In high school I was a member of drill team. We did precision marches in parades, etc., and we performed lighted formations at football games. We wore our basic uniforms every Friday, but we all hated our full dress uniforms with a passion. Other than that, I felt that I was just a number in a high school of 2,700, coming from an 8th grade class in which the entire school was under 200. I didn't really find myself until I went to college where none of the high school life dramas existed.

Respected Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

Really? How, exactly? Clean cut, physically fit, nice manners,required to make good grades to stay on the squad, gets along with classmates? Things like that? Dead giveaways.