Respected Contributor

Re: SO...TEACHERS NYC READY TO HEAD BACK?

@Mindy D wrote:

I'm so worried for all of you. I lost my cousin to COVID. She was a teacher in Staten Island. She was called into a meeting to discuss the online teaching and the teacher seated at a table beside her gave her the virus. This was while the CDC was telling people not to wear masks. There was no social distancing in the meeting. The meeting could have easily been done via video. Her husband also contracted the virus and he survived.  A tragic, needless death. She was in her fifties. 

Its tragic. In my opinion all schools and businesses should remain closed until a vaccine is found.  I know many have not left the house since March but the risks are too high. School children can be taught via zoom or watching instructional videos on PBS or YouTube.  

Respected Contributor

@DREAMON wrote:

News said opening is delayed until earliest Sept 21st. Did something change?

Students start on September 21. Teachers and staff will be in on Tuesday the 8th. We need to prepare for their return.
Good Luck and Stay Safe to ALL of  my fellow DOE employees. We are all at risk, and we all serve the children of our city. Everyone from Administration, School Nurses, Teachers to Paras, and Aides, Kitchen Staff, Custodians and School Safety. It takes many, many titles to run the school system. Most of all God bless the children we serve. ❤️ 

Respected Contributor

@KBEANS wrote:

@DREAMON wrote:

News said opening is delayed until earliest Sept 21st. Did something change?

Students start on September 21. Teachers and staff will be in on Tuesday the 8th. We need to prepare for their return.
Good Luck and Stay Safe to ALL of  my fellow DOE employees. We are all at risk, and we all serve the children of our city. Everyone from Administration, School Nurses, Teachers to Paras, and Aides, Kitchen Staff, Custodians and School Safety. It takes many, many titles to run the school system. Most of all God bless the children we serve. ❤️ 

Why cant schooling be delayed until a vaccine is found ?  In my opinion we are putting children teachers and families at grave risk by sending them to school.  A vaccine may be months away. We should be conservative and not take unecessary risks.  

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Reever in answer to your question, it's because there are pros and cons to be weighed in every option, and staying home is not the best option for most children or teachers. Younger children, children with special needs, children who are in a risky home environment, etc., and are healthy, should have some in-person instruction available to them. 

I am a teacher, back in my classroom, and we have a very good plan in place to mitigate risks to children and staff. It's wonderful to see children playing and learning together, and so far not one of my little students has had any problems wearing a mask. 

(Sorry, though, I am not in NYC, I am in the DC area.)

Honored Contributor

Our schools are going back. 2-12 will be at school two days a week and learning from home two days a week. I guess they will take it from there and see how it goes. This is in NY suburbs.

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Our schools are going back. 2-12 will be at school two days a week and learning from home two days a week. I guess they will take it from there and see how it goes. This is in NY suburbs.

Im praying we do not see a spike in cases.  I am very concerned that children may have asymptomatic COVID and bring the disease home to vulnerable people,  I also am praying daily to Saint Jude to find a cure. God bless all teachers.