Honored Contributor

Re: SO, I'm thinking of writing a book !

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I have a high school friend who has written a sci-fi book, and is currently looking for a publishing company.

He has submitted his story to practically every publishing company out there, and has received rejection letter after rejection letter.

He has been trying for the past 8 -  9 months to get his book published.

Is it discouraging to get nothing but rejection letters?

Yes, it is.

But my friend hasn't given up on fulfilling his dream of having his book published.

To be honest, self-publishing is often a writer's best bet. Getting an agent is a long shot, then getting  publisher is still anything but a sure thing. Even if you get a publisher they're likely to go with a very small initial printing and never reissue it. Your book will be tied up by the contract and you'll be getting nothing back. Self-publishing involves a bit more work, but you get a lot more control too.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I have a high school friend who has written a sci-fi book, and is currently looking for a publishing company.

He has submitted his story to practically every publishing company out there, and has received rejection letter after rejection letter.

He has been trying for the past 8 -  9 months to get his book published.

Is it discouraging to get nothing but rejection letters?

Yes, it is.

But my friend hasn't given up on fulfilling his dream of having his book published.

To be honest, self-publishing is often a writer's best bet. Getting an agent is a long shot, then getting  publisher is still anything but a sure thing. Even if you get a publisher they're likely to go with a very small initial printing and never reissue it. Your book will be tied up by the contract and you'll be getting nothing back. Self-publishing involves a bit more work, but you get a lot more control too.

My high school friend knows that he could self-publish, but it is is his choice to not do that, and to, instead, go the traditional route.

Honored Contributor

Gardenman, thanks for the tips.  My book, if I ever write it, might be more of a booklet, and I probably will self publish it and just give it away.