Respected Contributor

Re: SO, I'm thinking of writing a book !

Wow, Thanks for all of the great information and well wishes.  I will certainly research the tips !  I will let you all know when it's finished !

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goodie2shoes

I found it interesting to read about JRRowlings you know, The Harry Potter author. Read about her and the woman who did the "Twilight" books, maybe that'll get you in the mood to haul it along!.  And................your local library might have a writer's group, ours used to when I worked at a library in ND.

Honored Contributor

Even though I didn't have a clue about many of the papers my daughter had to write during her college studies, I was actually at times very helpful in guiding her to a finished product.  

She too, often had so many words and phrases running thru her head, she didn't know where to start, and was so afraid of leaving out important details.   My advice was to not think about sitting down and writing the paper from start to finish.   Separate your thoughts and write them individually, so you get those important words and phrases written while they are forefront in your mind.  

Once you have transferred everything from your head into written paragraphs, then focus on the editing and tweaking, to have things flowing in the order they need to be in, to get your point across.  

Writing became much much easier for my daughter once she learned to write her lengthy papers in sections, and then cut and paste to pull it all together.    

Honored Contributor

Go for it and good luck. You have nothing to lose and lots to gain.

Trusted Contributor

One time, after a 5 day period of not sleeping (REALLY), I decided to write my biography.  I didn't even get to the bottom of page 1, fell asleep, sooooooooooboring was my life!!!!!!

Good luck with yours and don't fall asleep.---------tedEbear

Esteemed Contributor

My life story? Anyone that has been around this BB for a long time pretty much knows my life story.

As many have said here, give it a try. Just like any long run, it starts with the first step. I read somewhere that "gardenman" has a book out, but that is all I know about it.

Good luck,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@Goodie2shoes

I have a friend who is a writer and has published.  She took many university wirting classes, and then several of those writers formed their own group.

It is important to get critiqued and suggestions, and my friend said, sometimes it can be brutal.  Of the five in the group, two have published books and done fairly well.  My friend has only published in journals, but those pieces attracted

an agent from NYC.  She has submitted several stories to him, but all were rejected for a variety of reasons.  Rejection is part of any writers experience.

But my friend continues to write, considers herself a writer, and tells me the writing and completing something is the gratification in itself. 

The best to you with your writing!  It sounds like you have a story to tell.

P.S.  I have another friend who wants to be a sreen writer.  She paid for several

on-line

writing classes, but I always felt she had been somewhat scammed.

She never really got any true suggestions, and she kept paying money.

Honored Contributor

I know this is an older post, but would like suggestions as to how to start a non fiction book. It seems most people want to write fiction.

What I have in mind is more of a self help book.  Or a supportive book geared toward those who are caregivers.  

Honored Contributor

I would suggest deciding what topics you want to cover, then use those topics for your chapters. That would make it easier for a reader to find the specific information they want/need quickly.

Life is easier if you start out formatting it as you want the final book to appear. Most writers now use a six inch wide by nine inch long page as the standard, a common font like Times New Roman. You'll want to keep the font size 10 or 12. As a rule you don't want spaces between paragraphs. 

If you're looking to publish in paperback, then head to CreateSpace to see their formatting recommendations or Kindle Direct Publishing if you're looking for a e-book format.

I've now self-published five books and one of mine (my political thriller "Sara X") will hopefully be part of a special two month StoryBundle in September/October. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I have a high school friend who has written a sci-fi book, and is currently looking for a publishing company.

He has submitted his story to practically every publishing company out there, and has received rejection letter after rejection letter.

He has been trying for the past 8 -  9 months to get his book published.

Is it discouraging to get nothing but rejection letters?

Yes, it is.

But my friend hasn't given up on fulfilling his dream of having his book published.