Honored Contributor

SO GREAT TO SEE STEVE SCALISE'S ONGOING RECOVERY

One year after he and three others were felled by an assassination attempt at a Congressional baseball practice, Representative Steve Scalise is going to play in the popular Congressional baseball game that all of Washington roots for.

One year ago, doctors didn't know if he would make it.  As with Gabby Giffords, it has been a long road back, and it continues. Among other things, his hip, pelvis and femur were essentially blitzed, and he has endured nine surgeries and many hospitalizations.

In an upbeat C-SPAN interview, he expressed excitement at being allowed in the game again, although he joked that the team won't be banking their hopes on him-- he still has to get around on crutches.  I didn't know that, and am a bit bummed.  Am hoping that that is just part of the long struggle back, and that he will eventually walk unaided.

He had fun stories about the goodwill of all who heard of his plight, including a touching one of Bono.  Scalise had been planning before the attack to take his son to a U2 concert at the Superdome in New Orleans.  When Bono learned what had happened to him, he called Scalise to wish him well, and prayed for his family.  Sweet.

I don't know if C-SPAN will be airing the game again this year when it is held tomorrow (Thursday), but it would be inspiring to watch.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SO GREAT TO SEE STEVE SCALISE'S ONGOING RECOVERY

@OznellAmen to everything you said. 

Respected Contributor

also doing well in recovery is Pres Bush 41 - GHWBush turns 94 today. i believe i heard he is the only American president to do so!  HB!!

Esteemed Contributor

It was touch and go there for awhile for him.......good to see him doing well

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

A photo of Steve Scalise amid practice in preparation for this year’s Congressional ball game.The photo shows Scalise’s crutch in the dirt, which he still uses nearly one year after he was shot at a practice for an annual congressional baseball game.

Steve Scalise ~  “It was great to be on the ball field this morning, “Can’t wait for The Hill Baseball on June 14th!”

Honored Contributor

Nice picture, @MorningLover, thanks!   I love his spunk.

Respected Contributor

The article mentions Gabby Giffords also.

Her recovery has been nearly miraculous. Even though she sustained permanently disabling injuries, she remains committed to activism.

She is still a woman to be reckoned with!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

One year after he and three others were felled by an assassination attempt at a Congressional baseball practice, Representative Steve Scalise is going to play in the popular Congressional baseball game that all of Washington roots for.

One year ago, doctors didn't know if he would make it.  As with Gabby Giffords, it has been a long road back, and it continues. Among other things, his hip, pelvis and femur were essentially blitzed, and he has endured nine surgeries and many hospitalizations.

In an upbeat C-SPAN interview, he expressed excitement at being allowed in the game again, although he joked that the team won't be banking their hopes on him-- he still has to get around on crutches.  I didn't know that, and am a bit bummed.  Am hoping that that is just part of the long struggle back, and that he will eventually walk unaided.

He had fun stories about the goodwill of all who heard of his plight, including a touching one of Bono.  Scalise had been planning before the attack to take his son to a U2 concert at the Superdome in New Orleans.  When Bono learned what had happened to him, he called Scalise to wish him well, and prayed for his family.  Sweet.

I don't know if C-SPAN will be airing the game again this year when it is held tomorrow (Thursday), but it would be inspiring to watch.

@Oznell  Thank you for the update.  Considering all that was shattered he has really rallied beyond expectation; all the best to him.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Yes, @Cakers3, I was impressed by the quiet, matter-of-fact way that he and his family approached every hurdle (and every disheartening setback).  He doesn't grandstand, but just tackles the next obstacle.  So yes, it's fantastic that he's doggedly worked his way back to full functioning on the job, so much so that I had no idea he was on crutches.  That's another thing that he doesn't seem to dwell on-- probably accounts for his exceptional progress! 

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

The article mentions Gabby Giffords also.

Her recovery has been nearly miraculous. Even though she sustained permanently disabling injuries, she remains committed to activism.

She is still a woman to be reckoned with!

@Ms tyrion2, yes, I thought of her when I saw this thread. I admire her very much and hope that she continues to use her voice.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland