Honored Contributor

Re: SO GREAT TO SEE STEVE SCALISE'S ONGOING RECOVERY

Oh, terrific.  I wasn't sure if any of the C-Span outlets would carry the congressional game this year, but sure enough, C-Span 3 will be televising it tomorrow Thursday, June 14 at 7:00 p.m.  It is going to be a wonderful "welcome back" to the still-recovering Scalise, even though he won't be able to play in the robust way yet that he'd like to:

https://www.c-span.org/video/?446943-1/2018-congressional-baseball-game

It's going to be a bigger deal than ever this year, with proceeds going as usual to charitable causes, and Congress showing solidarity for one of their own who has paid a price for public service.  Some of us here watched the game in "real time" last year, commenting on a thread while the game was going on.  It was a touching moment of unity and good will.  

(Not to mention it's always funny to see people you "know" in one context, suddenly running around a field in uniforms, perspiring, falling down, winning and losing and showing a very different side of themselves....)

Respected Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Yes, @Cakers3, I was impressed by the quiet, matter-of-fact way that he and his family approached every hurdle (and every disheartening setback).  He doesn't grandstand, but just tackles the next obstacle.  So yes, it's fantastic that he's doggedly worked his way back to full functioning on the job, so much so that I had no idea he was on crutches.  That's another thing that he doesn't seem to dwell on-- probably accounts for his exceptional progress! 

@Oznell  Good point. Your thinking has a lot to do with recovery.

Respected Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

The article mentions Gabby Giffords also.

Her recovery has been nearly miraculous. Even though she sustained permanently disabling injuries, she remains committed to activism.

She is still a woman to be reckoned with!

Amen!   I so agree.   She's an amazing woman in so many ways.    And her DH has been so wonderful through it all.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

The article mentions Gabby Giffords also.

Her recovery has been nearly miraculous. Even though she sustained permanently disabling injuries, she remains committed to activism.

She is still a woman to be reckoned with!

@Ms tyrion2, yes, I thought of her when I saw this thread. I admire her very much and hope that she continues to use her voice.

Gabby Giffords is a beautiful woman with a beautiful soul as well. Not too many people survive such an assault and come away still trying to help others. 

Gabby Giffords is an Angel Heart

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

So happy to see that Rep. Scalise is doing so well. He obviously is a very strong man, both physically and mentally, to be at this point in his recovery. There are many that would never recover from an event such as he has, and is, going through.

To me it is the "Getting Back on the Horse" after dealing of a life threatening event. Now, get'em on the field Steve!

Thank you for this info @Oznell, much appreciated.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

It's my pleasure, @hckynut.   On the eve of the "big game", I keep seeing items about this inspiring guy that are uplifting.  Apparently he's working on a memoir to be out in November, titled something like "Back in the Game",  in which he will detail his brush with death, and the faith he's had and the help he's gotten on the long road back.

In virtually every interview I've seen with him, he turns the conversation away from himself.  While acknowledging what a tumultuous ride it has been, I constantly hear him say "We've seen so much of the good, in the American people".   That must be very sustaining to him-- I know it is to me, just to hear it!  

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

It's my pleasure, @hckynut.   On the eve of the "big game", I keep seeing items about this inspiring guy that are uplifting.  Apparently he's working on a memoir to be out in November, titled something like "Back in the Game",  in which he will detail his brush with death, and the faith he's had and the help he's gotten on the long road back.

In virtually every interview I've seen with him, he turns the conversation away from himself.  While acknowledging what a tumultuous ride it has been, I constantly hear him say "We've seen so much of the good, in the American people".   That must be very sustaining to him-- I know it is to me, just to hear it!  

@OznellThis is true. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh