Valued Contributor

I'm in Wilmington,NC. No snow but cold. Maybe a flurry tonight.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@Shanus  We just had six inches of snow on top of sleet and freezing rain here in southern Mo.  I remember snow in SC when we lived there some years ago.  Be safe out there.

@lucymo  Thanks. Not planning to go anywhere! Have some jewelry to make and am going to bake this afternoon. No one knows how to drive in snow here...and not enough clearing equipment. Could be days until neiborhood streets ready to get out.

It's JANUARY  ... and sooner or later it snows everywhere.   Anyone who doesn't know how can look it up on the internet.   No biggie.

http://exchange.aaa.com/safety/driving-advice/winter-driving-tips/#.Wl95Qa6nF0w

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@Shanus  We just had six inches of snow on top of sleet and freezing rain here in southern Mo.  I remember snow in SC when we lived there some years ago.  Be safe out there.

@lucymo  Thanks. Not planning to go anywhere! Have some jewelry to make and am going to bake this afternoon. No one knows how to drive in snow here...and not enough clearing equipment. Could be days until neiborhood streets ready to get out.

It's JANUARY  ... and sooner or later it snows everywhere.   Anyone who doesn't know how can look it up on the internet.   No biggie.

Per my DH (when I read him the above). "Looking up how to do something on the internet and actually doing it are vastly different".   Lived in hilly, snow country entire life and still uncomfortable driving in snow.

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

Per my DH (when I read him the above). "Looking up how to do something on the internet and actually doing it are vastly different".   Lived in hilly, snow country entire life and still uncomfortable driving in snow.

@Allegheny That's so true.  And it's not like people who live in areas that rarely get snow get a lot of practical experience to gain skill.  Obviously practical experience is important, or we could all get our driving licenses just by watching YT vids Woman Wink

But the larger problem is that, no matter how good I am at driving in snow, that does nothing to improve my odds when sharing the road with others who are not good at it.  I can control my car in snowy, slippery conditions, but that doesn't help me on the road with drivers who won't maintain a safe speed limit, stop at the bottom of or in the middle of hills, follow too closely, etc., etc...

Respected Contributor

@WenGirl42  So true.  I'm OK when I have the road to myself. I am not a confident snow driver so I stay off the roads as not to get in other peoples' way.  DH is a very good winter driver and even he did a 360 upon hitting an icy spot on our way to work.  It is amazing we didn't have to return home to change our underwear.

Honored Contributor

Freezing rain in New Jersey along with some crazy flurries!

http://quotespics.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Cute-Winter-Happy-Wednesday-gif-2016.gif

Honored Contributor

W NC seems to have about three inches.  I drove home in the ice storm last week, so I'm sitting this one out.

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@Allegheny

OF COURSE it's different ...  I don't dispute that at all.   I was born & raised in Buffalo, NY, was an avid skier,  and there's pretty much nothing most people could teach me about snow!  LOL   

The nasty wind and snow that blows off Lake Erie every winter demands that you take it easy.   Every winter it took a little time driving to feel comfortable doing so when the snowflakes started flying.  

Having said that ......  if someone needs to get to work and they aren't comfortable with intense rain or snow (or whatever), it certainly wouldn't hurt to read up on the great driving tips the AAA Auto Club always posts.   

Familiarizing yourself with "the basics" is always prudent.   Obviously,  It won't ever replace the actual driving experience, but knowing what you might have to deal with is never a bad idea.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@Shanus

Not true. Shame on you for perpetuating this myth.

Esteemed Contributor

We had a "wintry mix" of rain & light snow last night in the New Orleans area with temps in the low 20s. Temperature todaywill barely reach 32 for a couple of hours before dropping again.   I-10 is closed, along with the airport, schools, etc.  Everyone is being urged to stay home, off the icy roads & streets.  Before anyone laughs at this kind of overkill, I need to mention that a few blocks from my house a car skidded on an ice patch this morning and went into a canal.  There was a baby in the car who has died, and the mother is in serious condition.  The deep south isn't set up to handle serious winter weather because we so seldom get it!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett