Respected Contributor

Re: SLURP AWAY: Coffee Is Big News Right Now

@Noel7 wrote:

@Burnsite wrote:

@In Japan, slurping soup (lifting it to the mouth to finish) is considered good manners.  I don't know about coffee, though.  I'll try it, though.  Thanks for the tip, @Noel7  --    Burping is also poliite in many cultures, I think including Japan. 

I was at a Buddhist temple with a small luncheonette and ordered a delicious soup with noodles, and remembered to sl--u--r---rp it with gusto.  A passing Japanese customer beamed with approval. 

Hi @Burnsite

My mother told me long ago that her grandfather would get together with his buddies for coffee and the thing to do then was to pour a little coffee in the saucer and slurp it out.  That was more than a hundred years ago.

Omg @Noel7. Maybe we are related way down the line. My grandpa always put his tea or coffee in a saucer and slurped it out. 

Could it be a Welsh/Irish thing?

Honored Contributor

No slurping for me, @Noel7 but I love a hot cup of java in the morning. It a morning ritual for me and it brightens my day.

O/T.....I read that you are having a lupus flare. Good thoughts and prayers that you will be on the mend quickly. Feel better!!

Honored Contributor

I totally enjoy my morning mug, and an occasional iced coffee during the day, but no on the slurping. Mine tastes very good consumed normally.

I would have a hard time in Japan 🙀

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Burnsite wrote:

@In Japan, slurping soup (lifting it to the mouth to finish) is considered good manners.  I don't know about coffee, though.  I'll try it, though.  Thanks for the tip, @Noel7  --    Burping is also poliite in many cultures, I think including Japan. 

I was at a Buddhist temple with a small luncheonette and ordered a delicious soup with noodles, and remembered to sl--u--r---rp it with gusto.  A passing Japanese customer beamed with approval. 

Hi @Burnsite

My mother told me long ago that her grandfather would get together with his buddies for coffee and the thing to do then was to pour a little coffee in the saucer and slurp it out.  That was more than a hundred years ago.

My great grandmother used to do this as a way to cool it down.  I don't remember her slurping, but perhaps because it's harder to drink from a saucer---slurp happens.Woman Tongue

Respected Contributor

Ah, I can just hear our collective slurp across the country every morning after reading this. :-D

Regarding weight loss, because caffeine is a stimulant, it can rev up the metabolism, which is why large (and sometimes dangerous) amounts of caffeine have been included in many weight loss supplements, to the point where some were pulled off the market. High levels of caffeine can cause the heart to race and increase blood pressure. I highly doubt one could drink enough cups of coffee during the day to increase weight loss.... especially if a chocolate chip muffin is being consumed along with it.  But it's a good sales tactic.

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Burnsite wrote:

Hi @Burnsite

Omg @Noel7. Maybe we are related way down the line. My grandpa always put his tea or coffee in a saucer and slurped it out. 

Could it be a Welsh/Irish thing?

@Ms tyrion2

Hi there!  I'm so glad you mentioned your grandfather, I never heard anyone else mention saucer slurping before  Woman LOL

My mother's saucer slurping grandfather was, as far as we know, 100% Irish heritage.  His last name was Kennedy, do you have that in your line?

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

No slurping for me, @Noel7 but I love a hot cup of java in the morning. It a morning ritual for me and it brightens my day.

O/T.....I read that you are having a lupus flare. Good thoughts and prayers that you will be on the mend quickly. Feel better!!

Thank you @Trinity11 Heart

I hope you are well Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

I totally enjoy my morning mug, and an occasional iced coffee during the day, but no on the slurping. Mine tastes very good consumed normally.

I would have a hard time in Japan 🙀

@Moonchilde

I'm not a slurper by nature, but I have to admit, they're right about aerating the liquid, it really makes the flavor kinda magical.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Burnsite wrote:

Hi @Burnsite

My great grandmother used to do this as a way to cool it down.  I don't remember her slurping, but perhaps because it's harder to drink from a saucer---slurp happens.Woman Tongue

Slurp Happens Woman LOL

Too cute @Lucky Charm !  I am so glad you two have validated my mom's story.

Honored Contributor

slurp