Esteemed Contributor

SKYLINK TV ANTENNA, ANYONE?

[ Edited ]

I saw this advertised and am wondering if it is another "too good to be true" item.  According to the article the antenna can be attached to your television set and you can get 100 channels with no monthly cost.  I saw it for a special at 45% off, $69.99 for two.   We have three television sets, one of which is seldom used but if we buy three the cost is $99.99.  Anyone out there familiar with the item?  If so I would love to hear from you.  

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Trusted Contributor

Re: SKYLINK TV ANTENNA, ANYONE?

I have been receiving emails for this in my spam lately.  I,too, am curious but since it is going into spam I wonder about it.  Would also like to know about it. 

Respected Contributor

The reviews are very poor, and reviewers were refused refunds. 

I would steer clear of this product .

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma.   If you'll go to the electronics forum and do a search on "cutting the cord", you'll find many ideas on what many of us have done to get rid of satellite and cable.

There are many interior antennas on the market and, generally, there are not too good to be true.  Many of us have purchased the Mohu Antenna at either Walmart or Amazon.  It's a flat white thing that looks like a piece of poster board.  It has a cable that you screw into the appropriate place in the back of your TV, then you hang it on the wall high in the room you're using.  You switch your source to "antenna", let your TV run through the channels and you're in business.

These antennas work best in urban areas.  You buy the size that corresponds to your approximate distance from the local transmitters.  Mine are about 15 miles away so I was able to use the cheapest which was $12., on Amazon.  You need one for each TV.  

I get about 50 channels including NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, QVC, Q2, HSN, JTV.  I get the local news on the network channels which I get in HD.  There is a channel that shows nothing but the national weather.  There are many religious, Spanish and channels showing old sitcoms.  The Justice Channel, which shows older crime shows 24/7 has become my "go to" when nothing else is on.  I do lose some channels temporarily when the weather is bad as our transmitters are atop a 10,300ft mountain.  The ones I lose are some of the UHF channels.

I believe Mohu Antenna has a website where you can input you zip code to determine how many channels are available in your area.  Little, unmechanical me connected these antennas myself, with no help or advice, in about 15 minutes.  They are a wonderful thing.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I do know that  if you are in a mountainous area, you probably will get very little  - if anything.  Several people who have vacation cottages where we do tried these types of things and were unable to get any channels for any length of time and then only about 2 that the signal went in and out constantly.  When they called complaining, the company told all this to them and said only good for those in larger cities without mountains around.  They were not refunded their money either.  

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

With any anntena it is all about location.  The location you live, the location where the anntena is placed, the location of the broadcast towers, etc....Also found out the weather conditions will determine your reception.  Sometimes it is a catch 22.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Never heard of it but my commonsense is that it isn't worth the money and it won't live up to it's claims.  You can get an Amazon Fire Stick for $29.99 this week.  The regular price is $39.99.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

As Kachina wrote, please do a forum search for "cut the cord". 

Also search "rabbit ears", since the most recent discussion was under that.

I currently receive about 75 channels.

I've never paid to watch TV.

I have 2 newer, but very cheap antennas, and I also use a 50 yr old, metal telescoping antenna, which works just as well.

The magic isn't in the antenna. It's in you're proximity to multiple TV broadcasters, and the variety of programming they broadcast.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma.   If you'll go to the electronics forum and do a search on "cutting the cord", you'll find many ideas on what many of us have done to get rid of satellite and cable.

There are many interior antennas on the market and, generally, there are not too good to be true.  Many of us have purchased the Mohu Antenna at either Walmart or Amazon.  It's a flat white thing that looks like a piece of poster board.  It has a cable that you screw into the appropriate place in the back of your TV, then you hang it on the wall high in the room you're using.  You switch your source to "antenna", let your TV run through the channels and you're in business.

These antennas work best in urban areas.  You buy the size that corresponds to your approximate distance from the local transmitters.  Mine are about 15 miles away so I was able to use the cheapest which was $12., on Amazon.  You need one for each TV.  

I get about 50 channels including NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, QVC, Q2, HSN, JTV.  I get the local news on the network channels which I get in HD.  There is a channel that shows nothing but the national weather.  There are many religious, Spanish and channels showing old sitcoms.  The Justice Channel, which shows older crime shows 24/7 has become my "go to" when nothing else is on.  I do lose some channels temporarily when the weather is bad as our transmitters are atop a 10,300ft mountain.  The ones I lose are some of the UHF channels.

I believe Mohu Antenna has a website where you can input you zip code to determine how many channels are available in your area.  Little, unmechanical me connected these antennas myself, with no help or advice, in about 15 minutes.  They are a wonderful thing.

Thank you so much Kachiina624.  I will definitely check out the electronics forum and everything else you suggested.  Somehow I feel we can always count on you to be here for us. Heart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma

Electronics is an excellent start, but do a forum search.

This subject comes up frequently, under a variety of thread titles, and can be posted in a few other forums.