Honored Contributor

Re: SINCE WHEN ARE DARK ROOTS ATTRACTIVE?

@SilleeMee   Probably....but without the dark roots, it would not have the same "zipper" impact.  I love traditional India clothing and jewelry.

Respected Contributor

I don't see anything unattractive about dark roots.

Honored Contributor

I think it makes hair look greasy and dirty.

But what do I know..I wear a wig that doesn't have any black roots.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I think it makes hair look greasy and dirty.

But what do I know..I wear a wig that doesn't have any black roots.

Lol @Annabellethecat66. I have to agree with you about her hair looking dirty.

Honored Contributor

@MorningLover 

Interesting. The article that I saw online had those photos as part of the story about her wedding.   I find it hard to believe she thinks the look is attractive.  Ah well, the photos will be around forever.  

Valued Contributor

@WenGirl42 LMAO at “So many pearls being clutched in this thread” 😂
Trusted Contributor

It's been "in" for some time...at least a few years. The only roots NOT "in" are those related to grey/white hair aka the "skunk line".

Many of my blond friends rock the darker looks and to be honest, they look fantastic. None of them are natural blonds so their eyebrows are dark as are their eyelashes. By keeping the roots dark and keeping some hair under the blond dark, it looks more natural (like the sun bleached the hair) and is MUCH easier on their scalp and roots due to not needing to bleach every week or so. Trust me, this is a look that is NOT cheap to maintain.

The few that I know are natural blond (some so blond you can't see their eyebrow or lashes) obviously don't have this look and if turning grey, just weave the white in with their blond.

You see the same "roots" on dark hair when they do balayage or high and low lights, btw.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

I know it's been in style for a long time. It's just not a look I care for. One of the Housewives had wigs made with roots showing because she liked the look. To each their own.

Honored Contributor

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Younger people who bleach and dye their hair don't always care that much about whether others think it is natural. Very light hair isn't all that common naturally (unless you're in Copenhagen) so most of the time blonde is going to be fake. There's no big incentive for these people to hide anything, much less roots showing. They aren't trying to convince anyone they have a different natural hair color.

Absolutely. Ladies are paying $$ for a look they like, without worrying about "natural" or "maintenance" or "grooming".  Lol.  So many pearls being clutched in this thread!

@WenGirl42 

LOL ... funny comment.  Woman LOL

I won't presume to speak for anyone else here, but I guess it boils down to my surprise .... "OMG, you mean it's SUPPOSED to look like that???  Seriously?  Yikes!"

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

that looks more like highlights than a definite dark root line...

@Bhvbum wrote:

Princess Diana did this often, this was 25 years ago. 

3AABD610-2B84-4776-87E3-BC0F904993CC.jpeg

Agree @phoenixbrd .  She was not purposely trying to have dark roots and blonde hair.  This look is from her highlights.  Can you imagine her back then doing the dark roots on purpose?   I don't think so.