Honored Contributor

Re: SHOWME'S Mr. Lucky......

Honored Contributor

@loveschocolate hey, you gotta recipe for that red beans and rice?????

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

@MickD

Red Beans & Rice

A woman who was born and raised in Louisiana recently sent me this recipe and told me it was authentic. Furthermore, she told me that the person who sent me my previous authentic recipe was way off base. Everybody’s recipe is authentic in some way, I am sure, so here we go on our third variation of a New Orleans classic. Actually, this is authentic if you are one who believes that the dish must contain pickled pork. In any case, it is delicious.

Ingredients

1 lb. red beans soaked overnight
1 medium yellow onion peeled and chopped
1 bunch green onions chopped
7 cloves garlic peeled and chopped fine
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1 rib celery chopped
1/2 cup catsup
1 green sweet bell pepper seeded and chopped
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. Tabasco
2 whole bay leaves
1 tsp. whole thyme leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 lb. Hot sausage
1 lb. Pickled Pork cut into 1” cubes and rinsed OR a second pound of hot sausage ( I USE ANDOUILLE SAUSAGE )

Cooked rice

Directions

Drain the beans. Put them in a 6-quart heavy pot and add 3 quarts of fresh water. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, or until the beans are tender. Watch that the water does not boil down too far. The beans must be covered with water at all times. Add the rest of ingredients, except the cooked rice, to the pot and more water to cover, if needed. Simmer, partially covered, for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until the liquid has thickened. Serve over the cooked rice.

Source: The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American Jeff Smith, William Morrow & Company, Inc., New York, 1987, pp. 215-216 (with adaptations by Jenny D

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@loveschocolate oh yum!  Thanks! I am gonna print it out! 

....gonna make vegetarian version with veggie broth.  DS does not like sausage or a lot of pork - what?!

And I'm on the meat wagon.....I could make a 2 separate pots....hmmm......

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

@fourpaws56 wrote:

hi girls! showme, it's hard to beleive how dumb some people are huh....  I tried to post a picture of Smokey and Miss Kitty, did it go through?

Yes, it is hard to believe.  But, she was showing her true colors.....she was right, patient was wrong......no way.  I have thought about this, and I really should have asked to speak with her boss.....  Several times she put me on hold and said she just spoke with her boss and her boss said I would have to come in and see the doctor.  That is what the heck I was trying to not to have to do.  Well, I don't have to go in there because it all can be done by my oncologist, Dr. G.  Have a feeling she put the wrong patient info in her computer and she thought she had me....  As I said "STUPID IS THE WORD OF THE DAY"........

Honored Contributor

@loveschocolate wrote:

@ShowMe, I am sorry you have to go through a rigmarole with those doctors. (Not Dr. G.). I swear, when someone is going through what you have been going through the LAST thing you need is all that BS. Since they obviously don’t have a CLUE the standard answer is “you need an appointment with the doctor”. 😤. Don’t get me started. This makes me 😡. 

Sounds like a nice dinner. I am going to make a pot of red beans and rice tomorrow. 

Yes, it made me very angry.  The longer I was on the phone with that girl, the more frustrated I was getting.  Am sure she knew that.  She just knew the patient (me) was wrong and she was right.  She has a lot to learn in communicating with patients that are or have been sick.

Since St. Anthony's is now under the ownership of Mercy, they better find out what is going on in their hospital.  Do know they have been several areas where problems are arising since this take over.  

Maybe the doctors that are staying will have to come forward and let the new owners know what is going on.....or they will be losing more doctors.

With all I have been through today, I am very worn out.  Also had a problem with the medical supply store where I get some of my medical supplies from.  But did manage to get that straightened out.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MickD wrote:

@ShowMe Wow, what a kerfuffle!  Can't fix stupid!  I am glad Dr G can deal with everything.....I am sure you have the appt written down somewhere.....I remember writing about it on this thread.

I bought edamame, whole wheat pita, black bean soy burgers, lettuce, tomatoes, radishes, portobellos, cheese.

Your dinner choices sound great!

All I can say is that I am glad I have my wits about me and have a good memory.  Hope she realizes that she was so wrong......

All the different doctors I see give me a printout sheet showing my next appointment information.  And Dr. G's has all the appointment info on that sheet for all of the appointments up to and including the last visit when I see him and also get a treatment.  I watch these sheets very closely.  They are all saved and in the saved ones, there was nothing in there about my seeing the ID doc in March of last year.  

It is currently 7 here.....supposed to be that through most of the night.  Predicting the high tomorrow what today was supposed to make it up to and didn't.  Ok, 23......  we'll see if that happens.  

Dinner was just so so.  Couldn't eat the whole thing though.  Will have another BOOST before going to bed.  Your shopping sounds like health food to me.  Glad I don't have to eat that kind of food......

Honored Contributor

@ShowMe well stupid is going around today!  Husband had to take Sammie in to the vet as her bandage loosened up around the wrist, thus destablizing the whole setting....another 50 bucks.

On Saturday, the vet told me she took another set of xrays so the orthopedic vet could see two different views, then she'd get back to me. And if surgery is needed, not to wait.

Today, she tells husband - we're going to wait for the orthopedic vet to look at Sammie in 8 weeks. Husband said - that is not what you told my wife.    Then the vet agreed.

Husband is taking her to the orthopedic on Tuesday....jeez!  What's the sense of waiting around for surgery for another 8 weeks.....

Honored Contributor

@ShowMe oh so the issue was that you were supposed to see them last March.....you saw an ID doc after you were discharged from the nursing facility.....who gives a flip?  Now I'm confused!

It's cleaner eating.....hahaha!

Honored Contributor

@MickD wrote:

@ShowMe well stupid is going around today!  Husband had to take Sammie in to the vet as her bandage loosened up around the wrist, thus destablizing the whole setting....another 50 bucks.

On Saturday, the vet told me she took another set of xrays so the orthopedic vet could see two different views, then she'd get back to me. And if surgery is needed, not to wait.

Today, she tells husband - we're going to wait for the orthopedic vet to look at Sammie in 8 weeks. Husband said - that is not what you told my wife.    Then the vet agreed.

Husband is taking her to the orthopedic on Tuesday....jeez!  What's the sense of waiting around for surgery for another 8 weeks.....

Good for your DH speaking up.  Let him be the one to take her next Tuesday and make what ever the orthopedic vet is advising be done.  These decisions are always difficult to make.  Keep us posted on this.  

Sorry Sammie is loosening the cast.  It must be bothering her.