Honored Contributor

Re: SHOOTING IN MY WALLMART...ALMOST THERE

@Tinkrbl44wrote:

Wow.  Glad you're okay ...   but there's only one "L" in Walmart.   

@Tinkrbl44, How rude can one person be, the woman was happy she didn't go to Walmart, and you're correcting her spelling!!!

@Shanus, to answer your question, No, it is the world we live in today, I don't think we are safe anywhere anymore, and it is very sad!  

Honored Contributor

I have survived a direct hit by a large tornado; been in a high rise building fire; been in a hurricane in New Orleans, and by 24 hours missed a major bridge collapse--to the minute.  I have been in two car wrecks and been hit by another two, but just hit hard.  I survived a fall on a horse, and another time went off the front just like Chris Reeve did, landing on my back.  Oh, and our house caught on fire when I was a teen.  

Can't think of any more right now, but safe?  No. It has never been safe. 

Honored Contributor

Safety is an illusion.

Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderlandwrote:

It can be terrifying.

While the bombings were happening in Austin,  I mostly felt safe. Then one day they closed the FedEx store a mile north of my home because they found the bomber had two explsosives from that location. My parents called me from out of state because they heard the address on the news and knew how close the store was. I was rattled, but still felt safe.

That same night, I was driving to the CVS on a corner a mile south of my apartment. I stopped between my office and the CVS to get something to eat. As I sat down at the restaurant table, my phone alerted me that there had been on explosion and only reported the street corner where it happened. The corner I had been headed toward. I almost threw up. The casual restaurant had a TV playing sports and they changed it to the news. A reporter was standing on the corner with the CVS I'd been heading to in the background. He gave more details and the explosion happened on the other side of the street at the Goodwill about 200 yards north. Since it happened on my street but a mile south, I took an alternate route home and called my parents to again report I was safe. When I parked my car, I walked all the way around it, looking for anything suspicious and trying to remember what everything looked like so that I could look for anything suspicious again the next morning. I ran into the guy who collects the trash and he said he wasn't going to be collecting any boxes left by the trash unless they were broken down, flat cardboard. I said I thought that was a good idea.

Later they found out the Goodwill explosion was unrelated. Someone had dropped off some old military chargers at the Goodwill store there. (Who leaves military ordnance at the Goodwill at ALL, much less while the city is in the middle of serial bombings?)

It was a really scary day. I considered going to stay with a friend in Pflugerville, the city north of Austin - but that's where they found the bomber early the next morning. They told us to be vigilent because they didn't know where else he'd left bombs, so I still walked around my car and checked underneath it the next morning.

Last December, a 9-year-old-child was grazed by a bullet outside of one of the taco places I frequent because it's between my office and my home. The police have not found ths shooter.

That said, Austin is still one of the safest cities in the country and I still feel safe here. I try not to let the scary things keep me from going out and living my life. But that was a really big challenge this month. The FBI says the bomber does not meet the criteria to be described as a terrorist, but I can tell you that Austinites absolutely felt terrorized.

I'm glad you're safe. Don't let the bad people get the best of you.

@Alison Wonderland   Thanks, but sounds like you were closer to danger’s door. Stay safe. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanuswrote:

@happycatwrote:

That is terrifyng, glad you decided to go to DSW instead.

I don't think we can be safe anywhere, unfortunately. Not at school, church, shopping and even in our own homes, we have to take preactive measures for safely. Look at how many of us have security systems, ring doorbells, and the like.

@happycat  Almost all women in my neighborhood head out to work after getting the kids on the bus. Working from home leaves me isolated in an emergency. I always leave my alarm on and never answer the door.

I'm home alone alot too, and try to keep my doors locked.

When I think about the way things have changed, I honestly can't believe it.

A man moved into the vacant house across the street a few months ago. He is almost never home, I think he must work out of town, so we've never met. Last week, I saw a man down at the mailboxes- ours and the new neighbors. Well, I looked up a few seconds later and he was gone, then I noticed the new neighbors truck wasn't under his carport or anywhere else. That made me curious. (I'm the nosy neighbor, I guess) Well, that man came out from BEHIND the new neighbors house and walked down the street. Went into another a different house.

I didn't actually see him open the mailboxes, I saw him in front of them and I went about my business.

I am now considering getting a PO Box and when the new neighbor comes I will tell him what happened, just to make him aware.

To the ones who say stuff has always happend, yeah, I guess so. But it wasn't ALWAYS happening.

Respected Contributor

I'm over 50 and turning into a fuddy duddy. I dont go shopping after dark unless its urgent.

Glad you are ok.

Honored Contributor

@Spurtwrote:

@Shanus

Im glad you are alright and it looks like someone was watching over you....that is SCARY!!!! 

OK I got to say it....why do these incidents always happen at Walmart---never Target, TJ's, Marshall's, Kohl's, Dollar Store........(and these things existed way before all these mass shootings took place and it has nothing to do with the part of town they are located in, there are many Walmarts in real nice locations and neighborhoods).......

@Spurt  It’s a big question, right? No answers here, but lots to consider & looking for other areas/stores to shop.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes you just think someone is watching over you.  This is one reason why I live in the woods and rarely frequent big cities. 

Honored Contributor

@ValentinaBonwrote:

@Shanuswrote:

@ValentinaBonwrote:

I've had a few close calls but I don't worry about it. If I were to worry about all the things that could happen wherever I go, then I wouldn't truly be living and enjoying my life. I do, however, go with my gut instinct on things and I do pay attention to my surroundings at all times but I've always done that and it is part of my training so it is ingrained in me. So many times people ignore their gut feeling....

Anyway, sounds like you had an Angel watching over you. 

@ValentinaBon  What kind of training, if you don’t mind sharing?

Tactical weapons training, tactical decision making training and self defense training, to name a few. 

@ValentinaBon  Thanks for sharing that. We may all need some kind of training what to do in an emergency situation.

Yesterday, a marine heard the shooting from Best Buy next door. He ran over, after calling 911, went into Walmart (w/ one L), retrieved towels and some other things, ran back out to victims to administer some of his medical training & keep everyone calm until police arrived. 

Honored Contributor

@LizzieInSRQwrote:

I'm over 50 and turning into a fuddy duddy. I dont go shopping after dark unless its urgent.

Glad you are ok.

@LizzieInSRQ  You’re not a fuddy duddy. I don’t drive around after dark unless absolutely necessary. If I’m meeting someone for dinner, we make up where to park in the lot so we can walk into the restaurant and back to our cars together.