Occasional Contributor
I realize we must pay shipping costs, but the amount QVC charges for shipping is ridiculous (I know. Don't buy anything if you don't like it). Have you noticed that if an item is particularly heavy, shipping costs more (this makes sense to me), but a piece of jewelry that is as light as it could be costs more for shipping the more it costs. I filled my cart on the website the other day for five different items (not same brand or anything, so no 1/2 off shipping), two pair of shorts, a skirt, a T-shirt and a pair of earrings. They would have shipped in the same box, most likely, except for the earrings. I looked at the total of shipping charges, and it was over $40.00., with tax almost $50.00. That is ridiculous. QVC certainly takes advantage of the consumer by charging so much. If QVC has lower prices on items than retail, they certainly make up for it with shipping/handling. $40.00, really? Add $10.00 to the cost of any item and you'll have a better idea about how much an item really costs. I emptied my cart and called it a day! I am not shop much via QVC because of this, not that they will care.
Valued Contributor

they'll start caring eventually.

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" Hillel
Super Contributor
I get free shipping with amazon and it cost zero.
Respected Contributor

Priority mail is expensive. I returned an ebay CD purchased in error (thought it was a DVD) -- $6 in a jewel-case in a mailing envelope. I'd have asked for a cheaper rate but never dreamed something so lightweight and small would cost that much.

All of QVC mail deliveries are Priority Rate. Do they offer an option to wait longer for a slower delivery? People often have the patience to wait to save a few bucks.

Honored Contributor

They self-insure. That is part of the reason that shipping is kind of high on jewelry items - even though they are small and shipped very inexpensively in little bags. If there was a loss, along the way, you'd be reimbursed.

Respected Contributor
On 6/20/2014 ~moxie~ said: I get free shipping with amazon and it cost zero.

No company doesn't pay to ship items. Deliver costs are high. Free shipping is factored into the price of the item. If you are a prime member you pay for a membership.

Honored Contributor
On 6/20/2014 muttmom said:

No company doesn't pay to ship items. Deliver costs are high. Free shipping is factored into the price of the item. If you are a prime member you pay for a membership.

For sure, the cost of my membership is nothing compared to what it must cost them in all we order.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Super Contributor
I order about 6 items a month from amazon that coupled with free streaming is a bargain. If you ordered 6 items a month with a modest 5.95 each for shipping then you have paid over $488 for shipping at q.
Honored Contributor

That's true. But their profit margin is much smaller so you do pay less overall.

Valued Contributor

""Free shipping"" does get paid for some way.