Honored Contributor

Re: SHE LET PRINCE CHARLES "GET AWAY"

Not too close since she is Roman Catholic.  The Settlement Act of 1701 says that a Royal would loose their right to throne if they married a Catholic.  But like the Duchess of Kent who became Catholic well after marriage to the Duke then no succession right is lost.  They may have dated but highly doubt it was very serious.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

None of the Royals would chance it probably. Plenty in the pool

to choose from .

Respected Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

It's a brain teaser, @Cakers3 !  In "middle European" nobility especially, there are so many Karl/Carls,  Charlottes, Christines, Maries (of both sexes) and Leopolds, etc.,  you can't possibly keep track....

LOL!  Yes!  But it's fun to try!

Honored Contributor

Extremely handsome!

Nice looking couple.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

She made the right choice for sure; he seems to have aged very well...looks more handsome now than when they married! I am very happy for them. She looks like a lovely woman.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nothing against Charles, but she's probably all the better for it.  Besides, I'd say she did just fine. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Re: 😳😳😳😳😳😳

@Mz iMac 

I tried to give you a hit but the system is nutso and will not allow me to give you an approval post.  I think this QVC system has intermarried and may have haemophilia or polycythemia, probably.

Honored Contributor

I believe that Prince Albert was Catholic and Queen Victoria Anglican.  There was a big deal about her signing proclamations about no more masses.  I cannot remember all the details.  I need to watch the series/movie (ha ha).

Honored Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

The Prince of Wales son of George III secretly married a Catholic and kept her under wraps for quite a long time but it didn't go well.  He loved her dearly.  It was anulled, he married someone he detested and later reconnected with his first love.  He was also a notorious "bad boy" with strings of lovers over the years.  Funny how those rules were applied for propriety.

@Free2be - Sounds like someone else we all "know"! LOL!

Had the two of them been married it wouldn't have made any difference. Prince Charles' heart belonged to Camilla from the time he was 17 or so. Princess Marie Astrid's  husband is handsome, she is beautiful, and the family picture is so nice. 

@Oznell - TY for posting the pictures and the story. It was interesting, and I enjoyed it! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

The Anglicans have been very fair with Catholics recently, and have given them   back churches that were  taken from them during the reformation. I know this to be true from Joanna Bogle . She has said they were all very beautiful old churches

The Royals are very decent about people of other faiths. Prince Charles said he would rather be the defender of  all Faith, rather than the Faith.

The Queen has asked the pope to visit England. When they have visited the Vatican they always had lovely gifts  for the Holy Father. Prince Charles gave him a set of of hand painted antique dessert plates as a gift. The Queen presented him with a food hamper, from items grown on her estates

Incidently I think the Obamas were very fast learners. The first diplomatic gifts that were given to the Holy father were embarrassing..I am sure an underling picked them out that was clueless

The next time they paid a call,the gift was so tasteful and I felt Michelle had a hand in it. I There were seeds from her garden, presented in a box made from an antique church pew. Something useful, and personal, and showed thought and grace

@cherry 

according to what i read, president obama met the pope for the first time in march of 2014 and gave him the seeds and the box. i am not sure which diplomatic gift you are referring to that was "embarrasing?"

"The president’s gift to the Pope was a selection of fruit and vegetable seeds from the White House garden, in a box made from reclaimed wood used to build Baltimore’s Basilica of the National Shrine of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the first Catholic cathedral in the United States."

(via the catholic herald)

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein