Regular Contributor

Re: SHALL WE TALK ABOUT Q TIPS?

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

The name certainly rolls off the tongue better than the general cotton swab name, that's for sure.

How was the Q Tip first conceived?  Leo Gerstenzang observed his wife stick a bit of cotton to a toothpick and decided she had the right idea and he improved  on it in 1923 when it became known as the "Q Tip," the Q standing for the word "Quality."  And there we have the "Q Tip."

Originally named "Baby Gay's."  The first three years the cotton swabs were called "Baby Gay's," which was later modified to become "Q-Tip Baby Gay's."  Down the road they dropped "Baby Gay's" altogether and were just left with "Q-Tip."

So there we have another story my sister in Florida passed on to me, which I in turn have just passed on to all of you.Woman Happy

You have an investigative sister! She passed on the story from the Q-Tips website, but one that's not immediately obvious to find.

I found it at qtips DOT com/about.

It’s also from Readers Digest website article, "What Exactly Does the “Q” in “Q-tips” Stand For?" May 27. I’m not a investigator 🕵️‍♀️👀🔎 tho, lol, she gets a lot of posts from RD, I think @FrostyBabe1  mentioned that on another of her threads. 

Honored Contributor

I like Q Tips and so did my cat. He kept them beside his bowl of kibble.  After eating, he would chew on the cotton tip to clean his teeth.

I use them to clean tiny grooves in things and the peep hole in my front door.

Honored Contributor

Cellophane was an accidental invention by a man who was trying to make a tablecloth waterproof but it failed b/c the coating he applied to the cloth was too stiff and it peeled right off in a big clear sheet. He later named his clear 'invention' Cellophane.

Honored Contributor

@Grand Happy wrote:
Very interesting about Q- tips
We stopped using them and instead use the candle method. If none of you have never done it before you're in for a cool experience. You'll be amazed how much wax is at the bottom of the candle after it burns down.
Think about it Everytime you use Q- tips you're shoving most of the wax in not out!!
Watch the Candle method online and try it.

@Grand Happy your'e only shoving wax in if you have an abundance of wax to shove in.  I use Q-tips daily not to remove wax, but to dry them after my shower.  Also, I have itchy ears.  My ear doctor has no problem with it, and I go in once a year to have them checked and he never finds wax.  What he usually finds is small amounts of dead skin that he removes.  I apparently have ear eczema and he prescribes me drops for that.  

Valued Contributor

Icegoddess, Wrong no wax melts in your ear 🤦🏼‍♀️
Trusted Contributor

On the subject of Q-Tips, has anyone used a silicone Q-Tip type swab?

Environmentalists are advocating for them because there is a plethora of Q-Tips in the oceans that animals then ingest.

I've seen one for sale that was similar to design of the Q-Tip but it was made out of silicone. The "swab" end had nubs to clean the ear better. It was washable and came with a carrying case. Tempted to purchase but would rather get a recommendation from a user. I use a ton of Q-Tips.

dee

Honored Contributor

I use Debrox to clean my ears. Qtips I use to clean up the edges of my nail polish.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@Grand Happy ...I find it hard to believe that there are still people out there sticking a @-Tip or any other device in their ears.  One has to be extremely careful if they do that, one push too far into the ear, as we know, can cause permanent damage.  Woman Surprised

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

Very interesting! When I first saw the title, I thought it was tips about shopping at the Q! I'm moving slow this morning. 

@GenXmuse ...Oh, thank you so much for your response, it gave me my first laugh of the day. Woman LOL

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Valued Contributor

Lindsey Grandma, exactly. I use them to clean the outside of my earlobe. Candles are great, no wax melts in your ear,v that's crazy to think that LoL