Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@sueinsf wrote:

I was amazed it got up to 106 yesterday for that all time record!  But it sure was hot and it's hot today too -- I think expected to be mid 90's but I wouldn't be surprised if it hit triple digits again in the city.  It's HOT!!  I don't have A/C but I do have a fan (and open windows!) and I'm trying to drink water (although I'm not much of a water drinker). 

Hoping it cools off a bit tomorrow so I can get some cleaning and errands done!

Hi @sueinsf

I never turned to water until recently, now I love it.  The trick for me is adding a lot of ice.  Ice tea is also good, Trader Joes has a nice green tea that comes in a bottle, blueberry pomegranate.   

ABC news online predicts temps in the 90s today, you may want to postpone errands until tomorrow or Monday.

It was really hard to sleep last night even though I had the fan on all night. 

@Noel7  I'll drink plenty of water on days like this because I have to!!  I may make some iced tea too.  I'll wait and see if it cools down some by 5 or 6pm (although not thinking it will cool down enough).  If not, I'll do the errands tomorrow and the cleaning Monday. 

Don't know how I slept last night but I did -- and without the fan!  But it's even hotter in my place today, regardless of whether it's 10 degrees coolor out, so might need the fan going tonight.  We'll see once the sun goes down...

Luckily it isn't supposed to be quite his hot tomorrow.  Low 80's would be a relief!

Honored Contributor

@sueinsf

Our house is holding the heat, too. I can't wait for this to pass.

Respected Contributor

a couple more days of 100s...then a chilly 96 next week...I wish the smoke would clear...can't even see the pine trees out front......even the deer are coughing :-)

Honored Contributor

Re: SF BAY AREA Heat Wave

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Wow, this came from out of nowhere.  Our warmest months are September and October but we are starting off with a bang.  94 in SF today, some areas a little north are expected to go up to 118, OMG.

How's everybody doing?

@Noel7  Last night on the weather report, itwas stated that Friday SF reached 106, so I know it was hotter where i live, but it was dry heat, makes all the difference.  Hot again today, but only 100, lol.  DH works in SF with no air conditioning, and in a suit!  I hope he doesn't keel over, lol.

I don't have AC at home either, but do have many fans, and a wet towel around my neck, the only way I can sleep in the heat. Smiley Happy

Your poor DH @mousiegirl  !  

I have fans all over the house, sitting in front of one now. I also took a cold shower at midnight, that helped.

I'm limiting food to mostly fresh produce and chicken. 

Anyone have any other hints? 😃

@Noel7  I pan grilled my first eggplant of the year from my garden last night, other veges can be cooked the same way, then drizzled a vinaigrette with garden herbs, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, and balsamic vinegar over it, and ate it at room temperature, DH also had sliced tomatoes from the garden, and two beef patties, I stuck with the eggplant and a naan, too hot to eat much, hoping to lose a few pounds this month due to the heat, lol.

It is 104 here today, no fair, it was supposed to be 100, and I thought the 80's-90's were bad.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7

116  and down to 113 where I am.  40 miles due south of San Jose!  The little finches are hiding in my neighbors oak tree.  Then thy come down and burrow themselves in my wet lawn and sit for a bit. I have 3 birdbaths going but too hot to go in them now.  Later they will come in packs for water.  The last time I remember it this hot was my grandsons 5 th birthda.  He just turned 16.  It was 114 that day.  Power went off to part of san Jose and Gilroy for days.  I remember a friend of mine in san jose having to unload her freezer and take food to a friend.  Then they had to stay at a hotel to get cooled with ac

Honored Contributor

It was supposed to get cooler today...Still hit 98 and it seemed more humid, too, so worse than yesterday.  The poor kitties are laying around, almost lifeless!   I put some ice into a bowl of water, but they weren't into it.   

The forecast is for cooler weather tomorrow, but I'm not sure I want to get my hopes up.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@sueinsf

Our house is holding the heat, too. I can't wait for this to pass.

That's what makes day 2, 3, etc of a heat wave progressively worse. I managed okay last night, but today the house is hotter. Everything's open now (no sun) but not really cooling off. Dang. It was 107 in Salinas. Right now it's 88 at 5:35.

All I did was have fish & chips and buy a few hot weather foods at Walmart. I think dinner will be a bagel dog. It's even too hot for kitty - she has no desire to venture out.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Its Hades here.  

101 degrees. Kitties laid out. We keep putting an ice cube in their water.  

My all day routine is drink, go to the bathroom, repeat.  We have a fan in every room.   Local news reporting all fans in SF sold out.  

Watching Hallmark mystery channel when I'm not falling asleep.  Stocked up on Safeway roast chicken, orzo salad, potato salad, greens and fruit.

The worst part is the awareness that this may be the new normal.

Respected Contributor

I'm in San Diego, inland, 15 miles from the ocean. Wall unit A/C in the living room. 90 degrees in the bedrooms. You suck it up and deal with it. 

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

I'm in San Diego, inland, 15 miles from the ocean. Wall unit A/C in the living room. 90 degrees in the bedrooms. You suck it up and deal with it. 

Yes, I think we've all mentioned that we're doing just that, but looking for ideas from others who are in our shoes.

I have two cats in my home now, one mine, and one belonging to my daughter.  I don't think they've ever been in temps like this before.  

Actually, I haven't, either!   Had AC in my last home where the summer temps went this high.