Respected Contributor

Re: SF BAY AREA Heat Wave

[ Edited ]

@september wrote:

@catwhisperer wrote:

I'm in San Diego, inland, 15 miles from the ocean. Wall unit A/C in the living room. 90 degrees in the bedrooms. You suck it up and deal with it. 

Yes, I think we've all mentioned that we're doing just that, but looking for ideas from others who are in our shoes.

I have two cats in my home now, one mine, and one belonging to my daughter.  I don't think they've ever been in temps like this before.  

Actually, I haven't, either!   Had AC in my last home where the summer temps went this high.  

I have two cats. One is not bothered by the heat. The other lays in front of the A/C. Nothing we can do about the weather, so we just have to deal with it the best we can, right?

Edited to add, before you know it, everyone will be starting threads complaining about winter/snow/cold/ice/etc. 

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

Is it very humid too, or a dry heat like in Arizona?

Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

@september wrote:

@catwhisperer wrote:

I'm in San Diego, inland, 15 miles from the ocean. Wall unit A/C in the living room. 90 degrees in the bedrooms. You suck it up and deal with it. 

Yes, I think we've all mentioned that we're doing just that, but looking for ideas from others who are in our shoes.

I have two cats in my home now, one mine, and one belonging to my daughter.  I don't think they've ever been in temps like this before.  

Actually, I haven't, either!   Had AC in my last home where the summer temps went this high.  

I have two cats. One is not bothered by the heat. The other lays in front of the A/C. Nothing we can do about the weather, so we just have to deal with it the best we can, right?

Edited to add, before you know it, everyone will be starting threads complaining about winter/snow/cold/ice/etc. 

I wouldnt complain about the effects of cold weather on me..I would express concern about the effects on my frost  sensitive trees, and all similar CA crops that could be harmed by a freeze. 

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Is it very humid too, or a dry heat like in Arizona?

Yesterday was dry...I even worked outside in the yard, staying in the shady areas.  Today was hot and uncomfortable everywhere.  Much more humid.  

Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

@catwhisperer

I hope you realize not everyone is alike and that there are people at medical risk with this heat, especially because this area is not used to heat like you are.  So no, not everyone can just suck it up.  It was a little insensitive to say that.  

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@catwhisperer wrote:

@catwhisperer

I hope you realize not everyone is alike and that there are people at medical risk with this heat, especially because this area is not used to heat like you are.  So no, not everyone can just suck it up.  It was a little insensitive to say that.  

@Noel7...my DH is ill, but he is dealing with it.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

@september wrote:

@catwhisperer wrote:

@catwhisperer

Yes, there is something we can do about the weather.  I don't know if you are trying to be rude or you just don't know what you're talking about.

Respected Contributor

Re: SF BAY AREA Heat Wave

[ Edited ]

Respected Contributor

we are all dealing with it the best we can....having asthma makes it difficult....running the air constantly and worrying how to pay the electric bill does not help either...

Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer.  I do see your point, although I don't agree it can be applied to everyone.  

I've been through heat waves before, and I obviously survived, as I'm here to talk about it.  I've also been through worse weather conditions, including wild  fires and flooding....(both, last year, where I live)

The tougher ones amongst us do fare well...I worry about those with health issues, pets, and those who don't have the means to stay home and take care of themselves.  Over the past two days, I did see gardeners and other outside laborers hard at work in my neighborhood.  They had it bad, I'm sure.