Trusted Contributor

Re: SEMI-RETIRING - FINDING PART-TIME JOBS

You could try an assisted living facility. I took a part time job almost two years ago as a concierge (front desk) at an senior community. I have found it really rewarding for the most part. The pay is not great at my place anyway, but I love the people and it is a nice atmosphere to be in. There are also positions in activities. I also like the idea of the library someone mentioned. I know our local library pays pretty decent-more than I make at my front desk-Smiley Happy Good luck and enjoy!

Honored Contributor

Check out your local hospitals; many, if not most hospitals hire part-time administrative assistants, medical record workers and admissions reps and collections reps. 

Honored Contributor

To help you it would be useful to know what type of pt jobs you are looking for.

There are jobs from Walmart door greeter, to flipping burgers to waiting tables, store clerks, etc.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Frequent Contributor

At this point, any clerical would be fine!  

Honored Contributor

OP congratulations on your decision! 

Is there any chance your current employer has any PT/telework positions?  If not, depends on what kind of position you are looking for, but IMO Glassdoor and Indeed wouldn't help much. For an office position, are there any recruiters/placement agencies in your area?  I would call and set up an appt and see if they have anything p/t.  

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I would walk into any store that you love to browse around.

Just ask for the manager, and ask her/him for a job application.

'You'd be surprised' at the results.

'Around here', while browsing stores, assistant managers, and managers have asked me to fill out applications.

When I jokingly told them that I was 'too old', they said that they have several employees over 70 that are doing great.

Same would probably hold true in other venues: restaurants, coffee shops, etc., wherever you enjoy being in your days off of your present long-term job.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

You can try wayfair if you want to work from home.

Trusted Contributor

I have been retired from teaching for several years and have had two part-time jobs ever since.  I work very early mornings as the Red Cross Lifeguard at our local Rec Center pool and I work for our state university supervising student teachers who come to my part of the state.  That involves regular classroom observations, etc.  I love both jobs and it made the adjustment to retirement much easier.  But they did not come close to paying enough to cover the cost of health insurance.  This year I finally qualified for medicare, thank goodness.  

I think flexibility is a major thing to look for in a retirement job.  If your husband continues to work, this may not be that important.  I started out lifeguarding 4 days a week at first, but now I am down to 2 days because I want more free time.  My university job is easy to schedule around my other activities.  

My boss at the swimming pool loves me because I show up for work and I am on time.  The college students who work there are so unreliable.  Older workers should be cherished for our work habits!

Respected Contributor

Try a temporary agency.  I have done that several times in my life.  Work in a variety of places, doing different things, meeting new people.  The agencies kept me as busy as I wanted to be.  You may work for two weeks somewhere; then not work at all for two weeks; or work a day or two here and there.  Also have long-term temporary jobs.  I really enjoyed it.  I had lots of offers of permanent employment from companies I worked at on a temporary basis and so that is also possible if and when you might want to return to work permanently.

Valued Contributor

You are looking for a part-time job to help pay your medical insurance or to provide medical insurance? 

If it's the first, lots of good suggestions.  I worked as a temp years ago and loved it. The long term postions were a bit easier than the "one-day, be there in an hour" last minute calls. It's also how I found my last job. 

Often health care facilities have their own temp departments - if you live in a city with a teaching hospital. One of the most creative positions I worked at was in the hospital pharmacy covering for a person who was on vacation.......she job shared with another woman.  Each worked two days a week (one on Mon/Tues and the other on Thurs/Fri) and they alternated weeks working on Wednesdays.