Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

SEMI-RETIRING - FINDING PART-TIME JOBS

I've finally decided to semi-retire.  I'm 60 years old and I've been working since I was 13 years old.  Seriously, I've never been without a job.  I've finally come to the conclusion I don't want to get up at 4:30a.m., commute to the city, put in a full, busy day and then commute home.  Hubby and I are in good financial shape but I'd like to find a part-time job to at least cover for medical insurance (which is quite high in California). I've been looking through Indeed and Glassdoor but there's not much.  Do you guys have any other tips on finding part-time jobs?  Appreciate your help!

Honored Contributor

Re: SEMI-RETIRING - FINDING PART-TIME JOBS

[ Edited ]

@Spinach30 wrote:

I've finally decided to semi-retire.  I'm 60 years old and I've been working since I was 13 years old.  Seriously, I've never been without a job.  I've finally come to the conclusion I don't want to get up at 4:30a.m., commute to the city, put in a full, busy day and then commute home.  Hubby and I are in good financial shape but I'd like to find a part-time job to at least cover for medical insurance (which is quite high in California). I've been looking through Indeed and Glassdoor but there's not much.  Do you guys have any other tips on finding part-time jobs?  Appreciate your help!

Every single one of my jobs was because I networked among friends and acquaintances. I don't think there was a job I ever got that I didn't "know" someone before being hired. My dad did the same and he had a very interesting career. He worked until he was in his 80's and then got a lucrative job part time based on people who recommended him in the same industry.

Best of luck and I hope that you can put out some info to friends, family and acquaintances that you are looking for part time work.

Valued Contributor

is there something close by, a library, a store, that you enjoy going to that isn't necessarily work? A little coffee shop? something fun, which you deserve for putting in a lifetime of hard work Smiley Happy and congratulations, too Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

After I retired I worked about 4 years part-time at a JC Penney catalog call center.  We have a number of call centers in my area; Victoria's Secret and Bank of America to name a couple.  They train everyone they hire so experience isn't necessary.  I wanted a job that had no responsibility since I'd had plenty during my career.  The customers were nice (mostly) and it was fun helping them shop.  I enjoyed the job.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

You didn't specify what kind of job you seek.  Around here I see lots of stores with "We Are Hiring" signs displayed.  

Honored Contributor

What is it you want to do?

Just my opinion but Indeed and Glassdoor don't seem to be the place to look for a part-time job.

Respected Contributor

Oh, congratulations to you!  I hope to do the same in the next few years and my dream would be to find a pleasant place to work a few hours a day, a few days a week.  Since I've done office work my entire career, maybe helping out with overflow work in some office somewhere where my experience would be appreciated.  Keep your eyes and ears open and tell everyone you know that you're looking.  You never know where you will find someone who knows someone who needs you!

Trusted Contributor

Congrats Spinach30!

I retired one year ago.  I was secretary to the Principal.  I wasn't ready to retire but ... that's another story.  Previous to that, I worked in corporate for 30 years.

Anyway, I began temping in local school districts.  I've been pretty lucky and have worked most of the school year. 

My sister worked in a financial company and took a package about 3 years ago.  She still wanted to work, but not "stressful" jobs.  She became a teacher's aide at a local school.  She gets home at 3p, has all holidays, snow days & summer off.  And she loves her students.

I suggest working part time in retail also.  Or maybe try a temp agency.

Right now I'm working about 17 hours/week at a high school.  This job goes until June 30.

Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I plan to do the same when I retire work part time 2-3 days a week.  There is a lot out there thinking off the top of my head the courts, movie theatres, retail stores, schools, colleges, customer service reps...it depends on what you are looking for.

I personally would be looking for something less stressful and with less responsibility than my current job as a manager in one of our fiscal departments.

Good luck.

I forgot to mention part time jobs should be easier to find because employers don't have to offer the same fringe benefits as they would a regular employee.

Trusted Contributor

If you want to stay home, look for places that hire remote customer service people.  You can usually pick your days and times but you do have to have computer equipment and internet service that meets their standards.

Try shopping channels!  I will bet it would be interesting.