Reply
Valued Contributor
Posts: 732
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: SELLING OUT OF WARRANTY KITCHEN AID MIXERS


@pooky1 wrote:

thats unexceptable. i would by one in a store and switch mixer and return it to store and tell them i took it home and somethings wrong and get your money back.


say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??  are you kidding me?  Doesn't that amount to fraud?

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,462
Registered: ‎10-07-2013

Re: SELLING OUT OF WARRANTY KITCHEN AID MIXERS

[ Edited ]

It certainly amounts to something that the OP may want to present to a Consumer Protection agency (NOT the BBB) in her area.  It might amout to something the OP may want to contact a lawyer about.

 

In either event, she'd need written proof that the mixer's warranty had expired.  And, she'd need proof of when she purchased the mixer.

 

And she ought to have done it when the phone call ended.  She should do it NOW if she hasn't already done so.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,898
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: SELLING OUT OF WARRANTY KITCHEN AID MIXERS


@chickenbutt wrote:

@CARMIE wrote:

My KA is close to 40  years old and in perfect running order.  It does have a few scratches on it though.

 

i don’t think the new ones are made the same way.  I want a new color, but I’ll stick with my almond one. They don’t even make that color anymore.  When a I got mine, they were only made in white and almond.  I chose the more modern color.


 

You are correct. They are no longer made at all the same.  When they were made by Hobart, they were a product with integrity.  After they sold out, they started with things such as plastic gears and other less integrous aspects of manufacturing.

 

I guess they did get called on some of it and they stopped making some of the gears of plastic, but they are still nowhere near the same as the ones you, and others, purchased decades ago.

 

Now you even have some of them being made in China, for sale at QVC, and I cannot even imagine how much less quality control there is.


Just a quick heads up. "Plastic" gears  are often a high grade nylon or acetal and can be more durable than metal gears. Metal gears are often made from a process called sintering where a metallic powder is placed into a mold and heated under pressure and heat to make the part. Done right, they can be very strong. done wrong, they can break fairly easy. In many cases a very high quality nylon or acetal gear is more expensive and more durable than a metal gear. Now "plastic" quality can vary rather wildly (there are over 1,000 acetal resins and over 5,000 nylon resins) and in some cases can be much worse than metal gears, but you can't just assume that a "plastic" gear is worse. Properly engineered and deployed a plastic gear can outlast and out-perform a metal gear while being quieter. There's a perception that metal gearing is better, but the reality is that may not be the case. It all depends on the skill and experience of the gear designer. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,408
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: SELLING OUT OF WARRANTY KITCHEN AID MIXERS


@JaneMarple wrote:

Any of this sound familiar? Woman Wink


I am curious??

Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,735
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: SELLING OUT OF WARRANTY KITCHEN AID MIXERS


@pooky1 wrote:

thats unexceptable. i would by one in a store and switch mixer and return it to store and tell them i took it home and somethings wrong and get your money back.


 

 

This is completely ridiculous and illegal.  If caught you could actually go to jail.  It's the same as shoplifting and fraud.

My little dog, a heartbeat at my feet. —Edith Wharton
What greater gift than the love of a cat.--Charles Dickens





Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,898
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: SELLING OUT OF WARRANTY KITCHEN AID MIXERS


@Nicknack wrote:

@pooky1 wrote:

thats unexceptable. i would by one in a store and switch mixer and return it to store and tell them i took it home and somethings wrong and get your money back.


 

 

This is completely ridiculous and illegal.  If caught you could actually go to jail.  It's the same as shoplifting and fraud.


Agreed. That's why companies put the serial numbers on both the box and the device. All they'd have to do is see that the two didn't match and you would be in a lot of trouble. You probably wouldn't see jail time, but it would go on your record, you'd be fined, and the costs for the lawyers and fines would far outpace any benefit.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,053
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: SELLING OUT OF WARRANTY KITCHEN AID MIXERS


gardenman wrote:

chickenbutt wrote:

CARMIE wrote:

My KA is close to 40  years old and in perfect running order.  It does have a few scratches on it though.

 

i don’t think the new ones are made the same way.  I want a new color, but I’ll stick with my almond one. They don’t even make that color anymore.  When a I got mine, they were only made in white and almond.  I chose the more modern color.


 

You are correct. They are no longer made at all the same.  When they were made by Hobart, they were a product with integrity.  After they sold out, they started with things such as plastic gears and other less integrous aspects of manufacturing.

 

I guess they did get called on some of it and they stopped making some of the gears of plastic, but they are still nowhere near the same as the ones you, and others, purchased decades ago.

 

Now you even have some of them being made in China, for sale at QVC, and I cannot even imagine how much less quality control there is.


Just a quick heads up. "Plastic" gears  are often a high grade nylon or acetal and can be more durable than metal gears. Metal gears are often made from a process called sintering where a metallic powder is placed into a mold and heated under pressure and heat to make the part. Done right, they can be very strong. done wrong, they can break fairly easy. In many cases a very high quality nylon or acetal gear is more expensive and more durable than a metal gear. Now "plastic" quality can vary rather wildly (there are over 1,000 acetal resins and over 5,000 nylon resins) and in some cases can be much worse than metal gears, but you can't just assume that a "plastic" gear is worse. Properly engineered and deployed a plastic gear can outlast and out-perform a metal gear while being quieter. There's a perception that metal gearing is better, but the reality is that may not be the case. It all depends on the skill and experience of the gear designer. 


 

From what I read, at the time, the problem was that people were having a lot of gear breakage so the plastic gears that KA was using were just not integrous at all.   

 

I appreciate knowing that some plastic gears are a good choice, though! Smiley Happy

Super Contributor
Posts: 338
Registered: ‎05-17-2012

Re: SELLING OUT OF WARRANTY KITCHEN AID MIXERS

Something sounds off to me about this complaint. Getting the feeling it is either made up or the whole story isn’t being told.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,735
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: SELLING OUT OF WARRANTY KITCHEN AID MIXERS


@sunchild wrote:
Something sounds off to me about this complaint. Getting the feeling it is either made up or the whole story isn’t being told.

 

 

I don't think it's being made up, but I think the OP is very confused about what she was told or something.  This makes no sense at all.

My little dog, a heartbeat at my feet. —Edith Wharton
What greater gift than the love of a cat.--Charles Dickens





Honored Contributor
Posts: 30,758
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: SELLING OUT OF WARRANTY KITCHEN AID MIXERS

well, as of now kitchenaid AND qvc are both looking into the matter. i am sure she is going to get what she wants out of one of the companies or both of the companies, especially since the warranty is pretty clear cut from kitchenaid.

"If the camel once gets his nose in the tent, his body will soon follow." - Arab Proverb