Honored Contributor

Re: SECURITY CAMERA OVER WOMENS' FITTING ROOM?

@Deanie wrote:

Well, something does not seem right. While some posters decried the use of cameras in DR (I too agree) others replied that their stores did nothing to deter the theft due to fears of litigation???What??? Then, why have cameras in dressing rooms? If you are not going to deter the theft by stopping it due to fear of being sued, what is the purpose of watching someone steal said items? Something does not add up in my mind.

@Deanie

In most cases, regular employees should not get involved .... it's not their job and they aren't trained if the shoplifter pulls  knife on them or something.  It's the job of Security personnel to do the apprehending ... if they think they have a case.

As for the cameras, there was no sign telling women they were being photographed.  Not a major issue if you're just trying on a blouse, I guess .... but what about a woman trying on bras or bathing suits?

I also think Security people are more likely to apprehend shoplifters if they have the shoplifting act on tape ..... helps greatly with prosecution .... I'm just assuming this is the criteria used.   

Respected Contributor

I once went into the fitting room area of a store. They had all the usual little cubicles...only they had taken all the curtains off. I walked in, saw all the half-naked ladies and just left...as did some other people. Actually, I purchased the item and just planned to bring it back if it did not fit.

I would not like knowing that someone was gawking at me through a ceiling camera, but I don't like feeling like I'm in a high school girls' shower room either. Too bad things have come to this.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

From what I read..I took the OP to state the camera was OVER the fitting room..not IN IT...

I would imagine that there are cameras all over stores in very out-of-the-way locations.. Unfortunately it is the times we live in...people feel that they are entitled to take things that do not belong to them...and we all pay.

I can't believe as I am walking around grocery stores, Target ...etc and see open food items - eaten and the wrappers left on any shelf..drinks opened and left empty.

One time I saw a lady feeding her child yogurt..that she literally took off the shelf..opened it and fed the child with a spoon she had...and passed her in the isle of paper towels as she was putting the container on the shelf.. why would anybody think that was acceptable??

In Target's Starbucks Cafe they have a basket of fruit for children 12 and under...this is not rotten day old fruit. These are nice bananas, small Halo Oranges.. a very nice idea and gesture...it only takes one person to take advantage..taking two bananas and an orange...I pass her later eating the banana.  Sigh!!