Honored Contributor

Re: Schoolbooks and the covers

[ Edited ]

If you want a new look or to save, get some 12 x 12 scrapbook paper, and cut what you need.  I use it for crafting.  There's large packets you can get at Hobby Lobby or Michael's and there's more than 1 sheet of the paper.  You should be covered. **wink"

Honored Contributor

We also had a small store run by one of the nuns and you could buy book covers with the school name on it-they were glossy and had measurement markings to cut the exact size for the book.

Yet the brown paper bags were always in the majority.  No stickers/coloring/words, etc. were allowed except for your name and grade on the inside edge of the bag.

Recycling and we never gave it that name. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

Yes, way back when, we use to make book covers out of brown paper bags....also had a pee-chee folder to carry homework, loose papers, etc., from different classes.....we didn't use school backpacks back then, we survived with what we had.

Trusted Contributor

Re: SCHOOL BOOKS AND THE COVERS...

We used brown paper bags too.  Then for art class we had to personalize them with stickers, colored pencils, crayons, etc.  

Honored Contributor

We used 'butcher paper' from our local grocery store, around the corner.  

I really don't know why it was called 'butcher paper', but it's what I remember calling it.

I believe it was brown (not white).  

So many years ago.  Gee, where has the time gone, anyway?

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

We used brown paper bags, too, to protect our books.  Used crayons (or markers when they became available) to write the book's subject matter on the cover.

Wrote my name on the inside cover.

Honored Contributor

I live in South Texas----

Butterkrust Bakery provided a few school book covers but those quickly ran out so the majority used brown paper bags to cover our school books.............

download25.jpg

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Brown paper bags were the way we covered our school books!  I think it was a great way to cover and protect our books and would still do so today if I wanted to cover one of my old books!

Respected Contributor

@SoCal Bred   omg I totally forgot about per chee folders. Ours were goldenrod yellow with football motifs on them. Catholic school memory.  We also used brown grocery bags.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Flatbush  As I recall, the more astute stores started providing paper bags with various book sizes and lines marked out on the paper bags to make it easier to get it right.