Respected Contributor

SCHOOL BOOKS AND THE COVERS...

When you went to school, and received school books, did you have to cover them to keep them nice, your selves?

Some of the other kids, actually brought covers:-)

The rest of us used brown paper bags and put the adverts on the inside so that the out side of the books, when covered, had a nice clean cover.

Just curious if it was a regional thing.

Thinking of this tonight, because I just covered a precious book published in 1928, that is starting to deteriorate,and I didn't want to hold the book directly, and cause any more damage.

Respected Contributor

Re: SCHOOL BOOKS AND THE COVERS...

Yes, we used brown paper bags, also.

Respected Contributor

What region are you in?  East cost we always covered with brown bag paper. Tried to make it snug enough that you didn't need tape.  If you really want to preserve that book, instead of just holding it together,  consider finding a less ruff paper cover it with. 

Respected Contributor

@candys mine 

Yes, I lived on East Coast. I never used scotch tape either.

If the wings were large enough, they made a good tight cover  and it didn't come off. The brown bag I used on my book, was used and it is soft enough and not rough.

Esteemed Contributor

My mom always used brown paper bags for my bookcovers. When I had kids, I also used brown paper bags. 

Respected Contributor

@Flatbush , My older sibs and I went to parochial school.  Yes, we always had to cover our texts with homemade brown bag covers.  The nuns expected to see this completed by the second day of school. Smiley Very Happy

BTW, my parents grew up in Flatbush.

Respected Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

@Flatbush , My older sibs and I went to parochial school.  Yes, we always had to cover our texts with homemade brown bag covers.  The nuns expected to see this completed by the second day of school. Smiley Very Happy

BTW, my parents grew up in Flatbush.

Yes, and if it was a paperback book, you had to reinforce it by cutting cardboard to size and putting it inside the front and back of the brown bag cover. 

Esteemed Contributor

I loved coloring all over the paper cover. 

Honored Contributor

Most of us used brown paper bags, but the school had a small student-run store in it that sold printed book covers featuring the school mascot and the school schedule that the better off kids would buy to cover their books. The school had a print shop back then that printed the covers so the cost to the school was fairly minimal. Just the paper stock and some ink. Students in the print shop did the actual printing.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

Yes, we were required to cover our text books and the teacher would make sure of it! Most everyone used paper bags from the grocery store.  There was a certain pride in producing a perfectly covered book, especially a tapeless one!