Super Contributor

SCAM! Imposters posing as AT&T

I happened to be at my mother's house the other day, and she received a phone call. She has caller id, and the group that popped up was "Telecomm Group". Unfortunately, she answers every call (I wish she wouldn't do that). Anyway, a lady was on the line, and she claimed to be from the AT&T rewards dept. She was going to reduce her landline phone bill by $20. She just needed my mother's cell phone number (to text) or her e-mail address to send the confirmation papers. Fortunately, my mother doesn't text, and she doesn't own a computer. Her cell phone is one of those old flip phones. My mother didn't know what to do. So then I got on the line to inquire. To play along, I said that I would give my e-mail. She then said that she had to transfer me to the manager. A man then got on the line, and ask me my name and address. I told him that he didn't need to know that because I'm not on her account. He insisted that he needed MY information. I told him no. He smarted off to me that I can just have my mother pay the higher price on the phone bill and hung up. I knew for sure that it was a scam. My mother still wasn't convinced. So, I called up AT&T directly. The lady at AT&T confirmed that it was a scam, and that they had lots of others who fell for that particular scam. What happens is that this new company disconnects you from AT&T and you now have signed up for this new company. Two months later, your phones aren't working, and you call AT&T to find out why. Turns out, you're disconnected. You've been sending your money to this new company, thinking it's still AT&T. So, just be careful out there. Maybe these scam companies could be posing as T-mobile or Verizon. It's unfortunate about these scams. 

Honored Contributor

Re: SCAM! Imposters posing as AT&T

It's unfortunate that these companies get older people who are more trusting than they should be.  We never answer the phone unless we recognize the caller or number.  Otherwise, we immediately do a call block.  Assume your mother has an answering machine???  A very useful piece of equipment.   These scammers never leave messages.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kaydee50 It's a crime. I'm 73 and my motto is "I am smarter than every scammer and thief on the planet."

I've read up on all of these for years and have yet to fall for any of this c r a p.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Y'all......please stop playing along.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

The scammers would stop if people didn't answer the phone.  Once you answer that scam call, it invites more.  Engaging with them just makes it worse.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been fending these calls off for several years, and yes, they do ID themselves as being from AT&T, DirecTV, and "my" satellite provider.   They are scam calls; "pfhishing" for your personal information, and come across as needing to "verify" your account information, when they have nothing more than your name and phone number.   Everything you provide is enabling them to scam you.  

Hopefully you can convince your mom to stop answering unknown calls.   I have seen firsthand with my own mother that if she doesn't immediately know what to do, she will do the wrong thing, every time!   

My mother only answers calls from her children, period.  NO EXCEPTIONS!   All other calls go to the answering machine.   Each of us have talked to mom about scam calls.  I was very concerned about the grandparent scam call, and reminded mom many times that none of her grandchildren would ever ask her for money; not in person, or by phone.  Her grandchildren are financially stable, and have parents who would help them.   Also, I stressed that she remember her grandchildren have never called her Grandma; they have a very unique name for her.  

Honored Contributor

@reviewer from sc wrote:

I happened to be at my mother's house the other day, and she received a phone call. She has caller id, and the group that popped up was "Telecomm Group". Unfortunately, she answers every call (I wish she wouldn't do that). Anyway, a lady was on the line, and she claimed to be from the AT&T rewards dept. She was going to reduce her landline phone bill by $20. She just needed my mother's cell phone number (to text) or her e-mail address to send the confirmation papers. Fortunately, my mother doesn't text, and she doesn't own a computer. Her cell phone is one of those old flip phones. My mother didn't know what to do. So then I got on the line to inquire. To play along, I said that I would give my e-mail. She then said that she had to transfer me to the manager. A man then got on the line, and ask me my name and address. I told him that he didn't need to know that because I'm not on her account. He insisted that he needed MY information. I told him no. He smarted off to me that I can just have my mother pay the higher price on the phone bill and hung up. I knew for sure that it was a scam. My mother still wasn't convinced. So, I called up AT&T directly. The lady at AT&T confirmed that it was a scam, and that they had lots of others who fell for that particular scam. What happens is that this new company disconnects you from AT&T and you now have signed up for this new company. Two months later, your phones aren't working, and you call AT&T to find out why. Turns out, you're disconnected. You've been sending your money to this new company, thinking it's still AT&T. So, just be careful out there. Maybe these scam companies could be posing as T-mobile or Verizon. It's unfortunate about these scams. 

can you sign up her number with nomorerobo?

and get her an answering machine 

Respected Contributor

@reviewer from sc 

Your post contains very important information.  However, I am afraid that a lot of folks will skip it because it appears to be one very long paragraph.

To make your message more accessible, use the " return " key to create the white space that gets the eye to enter the text more easily.  Paragraphs  are simply a visual clue that the next idea or point is going to be made.

I hope that helps communication....

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

I think it's silly to answer these idiots and play along with them, for any reason.

Honored Contributor

I love when my youngest son answers the phone when someone is selling something or trying to spam.

He doesn't let them get a word in edgewise.  He tells them they have a sexy voice and asks their name. He comes on to them and asks if they want to roll play on the phone. They can't hang up fast enough.

I wish I had the nerve to do this.