Honored Contributor

Re: SC Legal Scion Alex Murdaugh Hired Own Hitman

[ Edited ]

I read about this!...how crazy and strange!

There is a lot more to the story including the deaths of his wife & one son along with some other "accidents"...very strange but powerful family.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The scale of tragedy in this family sadly rivals that in the writings of Sophocles and Shakespeare.

Unbelievable evil and horror.   

Added:

“Time, which sees all things, has found you out.”
― Sophocles, Oedipus Rex

“If you try to cure evil with evil
you will add more pain to your fate.”
― Sophocles, Ajax

"False face must hide what the false heart doth know."

- William Shakespeare, 'Macbeth', Act I, Scene VII.

"Here’s the smell of blood.

All the perfumes of Arabia will not sweeten this little hand."

- William Shakespeare, 'Macbeth', Act V, Scene I.

Honored Contributor

I can't wait for a movie about this case! 

Respected Contributor

It doesn't surprise me.  It sounded fishy from the start.  Being rich doesn't = being smart.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

***UPDATE*** by his Attorney:

Alex Murdaugh's lawyer says he may know who killed the South Carolina legal scion's wife and son earlier this year, and he does expect his client to be arrested for embezzling funds from a law firm to fuel an addiction to painkillers.

Murdaugh survived being shot in the head on September 4 while changing a tire on a rural highway, after allegedly hiring a hitman on himself so his surviving son could collect a $10 million life insurance payment. 

Attorney ****** Harpootlian says that the motive for the June 7 murder of Murdaugh's wife, Maggie, 52, and son, Paul, 22, was 'personal' and that the identity of the suspect could be revealed sometime this week.

Harpootlian told NBC’s TODAY that Murdaugh, 53, was addicted to opioids and fell into depression after the murder of his wife and son.

The lawyer says that his client hatched the hitman scheme ‘to protect his child’ - 25-year-old Buster Murdaugh. 

'He was in a dark, dark, dark place and he wanted to help his remaining son, Buster, in any way he could,' Harpootlian says. 

'He thought this was the only way he could leave him with anything.' 

'It was an attempt on his part to do something to protect his child,' Harpootlian says of the suicide-for-hire scheme.

'He didn't want law enforcement spending time on this fake crime instead of focusing on solving the murders of Maggie and Paul.' 

Harpootlian acknowledged that Murdaugh is likely to be arrested for allegedly misappropriating millions from his own law firm.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

It sounds like the attorney, Harpootlian, is putting the best possible face on the situation for Alex (though even that isn't very good).

I trust Nancy Grace to get to the bottom of it.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

All I have to say is thank God for the stupidity of many criminals. The stupid ones like this guy are the ones who fail to crime or who get caught. So we are very lucky God, or nature, denied him that extra brain cell that could have allowed him to come up with a plan that worked.

I thought all along it must have something to do with his drug contacts. Nothing good comes from getting involved in that underworld.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Is he suspected in the murders of his wife and son?

Trusted Contributor

This story gets stranger every day. Many locals say Murdaugh will never be charged because of who he is...he is still very influential in that community. Now that a new character, Smith, has surfaced as the attempted killer, maybe he was paid to murder the wife and son. Too many still unanswered questions. This is a horrible crime with the wife and son murdered, but it is still interesting. Put Nancy Grace on this and she would have had it solved and people charged in a few days! 

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

It just gets Stranger and Stranger.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras