Honored Contributor

Re: SAndra Bullock's generosity

I don't know what happened to my earlier post in this thread, there was nothing wrong with it. Must have disappeared with some others. But I applaud Sandra, and JJ Watt, and anyone else who is trying to lead by example and help those in desperate need. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Trusted Contributor

It's funny, but when I read about a celebrity (such as Sandra Bullock) donating a huge amount of money, I honestly don't even stop to think that they are "tooting their own horn" by divulging the amount.  I just think, "wow"...and I feel grateful that there are kind, caring and generous people in the world! 

Trusted Contributor

Celebrities have always donated when it came to tragedies. I think, in the near future, we'll see bands and singers getting together to hold a huge concert on the scale of, "We are the World." I hope so. Those poor ppl, who are now homeless, have no idea what kind of future is waiting for them.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Not a fan of people - celebrity or not - who toot their own horns.

Not to mention it's a tax write-off for the wealthy.

Last time I heard, it's a tax write-off for everyone and if people want to "toot", let the tooting begin.  Every dollar counts.

@RoughDraft, I think that you misunderstood @YorkieonmyPillow. What she meant  was that she is grateful for those whose wealth allows them to help so generously in this time of great need and suffering.

Pardon your snarky condescension, I said exactly what I meant.

You don't speak for me.

Am I glad celebs are contributing - of course I am, but like I said, I think it is gauche and ill-mannered to bray about one's charitable donations.

@YorkieonmyPillow, I have enjoyed many of your posts, so I harbor no ill wiil toward you. But sometimes I do vehemently disagree with your comments.

I should not have been sarcastic; I should have replied in a straightforward manner.

I do apologize.

@suzyQ3

I totally understood what you said & implied.

Cool to see you take the high road.  

The dig isn't cool. 

Super Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

I don't know what happened to my earlier post in this thread, there was nothing wrong with it. Must have disappeared with some others. But I applaud Sandra, and JJ Watt, and anyone else who is trying to lead by example and help those in desperate need. 

@Greeneyedlady21 agreed! I also believe the more it is publicized the more donations come in, so it ends up being a positive thing.

Regarding JJ Watt....always thought he was a heck of a player but never realized the strong leadership quality he has. I hope once his playing days are over he puts those skills towards public service. I have hunch he'd be pretty good at it.

Never mistake kindness for weakness
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The point is people - celebrity or not - are contributing!!  I am sure that those in need will not care "why" people are giving - taxes, status, sympathy etc.   They are just thankful that they will be receiving a helping hand at this time of their misfortune!

PS -  I believe Sandra Bullock lived in Austin for awhile

Honored Contributor

@corita Yes she did, I believe she and her sister opened a bakery there.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

And let's hear it for Whattaburger as they have donated a whopping $2,000,000 . . . . woo hoo!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also saw that Ellen gave 1 million after going online and saying she was sending 25 grand and 25 grand from her show to help people and 25 grand to help animals. (I think it was).. I also saw Leo DiCaprio gave 1 million and Miley Cyrus gave 500,000. I think I got all those numbers right.

Anyway you all are right, it doesn't matter if someone gives a dollar or a million dollars. It all helps! But I did see people on facebook under news posts complaining some stars didnt give enough being they have lots of money, and I think that's not right to criticize anyone who gave. At least they gave! 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles