Trusted Contributor

Re: SAFE/NATURAL WEED CONTROL

I use the formula that someone else posted.

I gallon vinegar

2 cups epsom salt

1/4 cup original blue Dawn

You have to use it a few times, but it works. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KYToby wrote:

Natural DOES NOT equal safe.

Rather than listen to the hysterian on Round Up -- put out there by uneducated people who have no clue about science with an agenda (they hate its manufacturer and will lie through their teeth to damage it), just get something that works.

When used as directed, herbicides and pesticides and be quite effective and completely safe.

@KYToby  Take the blinders off Toby.  You are into the chemical aspect of life ie your scathing remarks about vinegar in another thread.  The manufacturers are the one's lying.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Vinegar with the Epsom salts is changing the pH of the environment the weed is growing in. The dish detergent acts as a spreader sticker for the vinegar.

I have no problems using Round Up on 'sidewalk' weeds. I follow the label instructions on the bottle. Other weeds in my landscape I pull or dig out.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our community landscape contractor is instructed to use blue dye (washes away eventually with rain or sprinklers) whenever they spray weed killer.

This is so people, people with children, or people walking pets will not step on it while it's wet.

I hate that they have to use weed killer because, as everyone knows, dogs have to be walked many times, not at a landscaper's convenience.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

When it comes to poison oak (or poison ivy or sumac, depending where you live)..there is one effective solution and it would be Round Up or one of the knock-offs.  

yes, I pull other weeds, but am extremely reactive to poison oak and when I see any sprouts that might be it....I use Round Up.  

Esteemed Contributor

Again, thanks to all that took the time to respond.  I dug out the jug of vinegar and I just bought a new carton of salt.  I have dish soap (of course) but not sure about the epsom salt.  I told DH about all the feedback I got here and he is very willing to give it a try.  When we get back from church, I am sure it will be full speed ahead LOL.  DH had a bone marrow transplant in 2009 and I am not crazy about him using anything chemical. 

I can alway count on answers when I come here Smiley Happy

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

I would not use salt as it can harm your soil for growing things you do want. Epsom salts at least would add magnesium to your soil. Epsom salts are used as an amendment to soil for growing peppers, tomatoes and eggplants. Roses benefit from a twice yearly sprinkle around them too. These plants take magnesium out of the soil and all you are doing is replenishing it by adding the Epsom salts.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

old time method............boiled salted water..................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo