Honored Contributor

Re: Ryan Lochte...his behavior/lies continue...

@Miranda1550 wrote:

Our children have so few role models.  This was disgusting, drunk, lying, a disgrace.   Hope he loses all his endorsements.

It's incumbent upon those who have children to foster positive choices as role models... Merely because someone is an Olympic athlete does not, in my book, mean that they should automatically be perceived as a potential role model in the first place... He's a swimmer. That doesn't mean he signed on to be anybody's role model...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

@MoJoV wrote:

No,he still doesn't get it.  He's still acting like a victim.  At 32, you wonder if he will ever get it.  He has embarrassed his country and teammates and cost himself millions of dollars. Coddled,immature dunce.

Haven't read all the comments, so apologies if I'm repeating something already said...

I have a feeling we'll be seeing Lochte on Dr. Phil.  Once the sponsors fall away (and I think they should), he'll need to do something to stay in the spotlight.  Sad that this will be one of the things that most people remember about the Rio Olympics.

Speedo has announced that it is ending its sponsorhip of Ryan Lochte.  The company will donate $50,000 of Lochte's sponsorhip to Save The Children.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/speedo-ended-sponsorship-ryan-lochte-151222439.html

Honored Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB wrote:

I agree 10000%, with the poster who said could you imagine how it would be covered if it was the basketball team.

That is a true real comment. I have not heard the negative outrage, or spin as taken for "others", no mention of taking medals away, no bringing up his father's history, his mother history, his childhood, no congressional investigation.

Just look at the trends list, it is at the bottom because the media is being much kinder in this case.

Yes, it is being covered by the media but not in an aggressive way as other events, no media petitions, no jail sentence in Rio.  It is being covered like, he lied, oh well, he is not that smart, etc.

Well said... I don't think Ryan gets a free pass, but as long as we're being indignant, there should be plenty of indignation to go around... you know, equally...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I think for those of us who have lived in different countries and extensively visited different countries, it's easy to understand the embarrassment factor.   It is embarrassing because they are there representing this country.

Of course that doesn't mean that everybody is bad.  But it sure does put a bad tinge and bring up the whole 'ugly American' thing.

Having lived outside of the country, I saw plenty of that and every single time, yes, I was embarrassed for myself and the rest of us who don't act like that.

He and his cohorts are an embarrassment.  They are way old enough to know better to just set out to be destructive and disrespectful.  Unfortunately, for them, they were caught.

I would definitely vote for pulling the medals of those involved.  That doesn't tarnish anything for the others.  But it shows that it is very wrong to go to another country (or even not) and act like an awful person.

@chickenbutt  I so agree with everything you said...well stated Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

JMO, does this embarrasse me? No its embarrassment for this swimmer.

But compared to the guy running for office that embarrasses me. That has the whole world wondering what is wrong with us. 

This is just another entitled pro athlete making an idiot out of himself and his team.

Esteemed Contributor

Granted Ryan Lochte has had a checkered past that would indicate this incident is no exception. What he did is embarrassing for the US and will cost him personally which may actually be the thing that causes him to shape up. However, I am not altogether convinced that some kind of shake down didn't take place after the sign was destroyed by him. Some of the surveillance footage is missing. Perhaps the whole truth lies somewhere in between. However, if he and his friends had behaved differently in the first place, there wouldn't be an internationl incident. Ryan can kiss any thought of competing again goodbye, though his age may have prevented that in the first place. The endorsement deals are already going. He may be forced to decide what he is going to do with the rest of his life.

Esteemed Contributor

@GATORGIRL wrote:

@Alter Ego wrote:

@MoJoV wrote:

No,he still doesn't get it.  He's still acting like a victim.  At 32, you wonder if he will ever get it.  He has embarrassed his country and teammates and cost himself millions of dollars. Coddled,immature dunce.

Haven't read all the comments, so apologies if I'm repeating something already said...

I have a feeling we'll be seeing Lochte on Dr. Phil.  Once the sponsors fall away (and I think they should), he'll need to do something to stay in the spotlight.  Sad that this will be one of the things that most people remember about the Rio Olympics.

Speedo has announced that it is ending its sponsorhip of Ryan Lochte.  The company will donate $50,000 of Lochte's sponsorhip to Save The Children.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/speedo-ended-sponsorship-ryan-lochte-151222439.html

Maybe we'll see the usual when someone in the limelight messes up. They go to rehab and all is forgiven.

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

None of it embarrasses me.  I prefer to acknowledge the amazing things accomplished by all of the other Americans.

I don't know (and none of us REALLY knows) what went on.  I don't really care.  I think he's gotten too much publicity as it is.  It takes away from all of the other amazing Americans who brought home a medal.

I also chose to recognize the accomplishments of all of the Americans who competed (but didn't win a medal).  They did an excellent job representing our Country.

Let us not forget all of the Americans who went there to see the Olympics (family, friends and fans).  They did nothing wrong.  

I hope none of the above mentioned is embarrassed either.  I'm not apologizing for something a few immature males did.  

I so agree with you Annabelle. 

As I read through this thread I am amazed by the number of women who want to tar and feather this guy and then place him in front of a firing squad.  Many would volunteer to pull the trigger. Fanatics who are overzealous are just so wrong especially when it is obvious these women have been wronged in their own lives and will not stop until they see someone/anyone get what they think is coming to them - over and over and over again as their own drama remains unresolved.  

Honored Contributor

Wow, that was hideous!  Nobody wants to kill the guy or even anything close.  But he does need to answer to his crimes and stop acting like he didn't do anything wrong.   A sense of entitlement is not attractive either.

good grief

Esteemed Contributor

@truffle wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

None of it embarrasses me.  I prefer to acknowledge the amazing things accomplished by all of the other Americans.

I don't know (and none of us REALLY knows) what went on.  I don't really care.  I think he's gotten too much publicity as it is.  It takes away from all of the other amazing Americans who brought home a medal.

I also chose to recognize the accomplishments of all of the Americans who competed (but didn't win a medal).  They did an excellent job representing our Country.

Let us not forget all of the Americans who went there to see the Olympics (family, friends and fans).  They did nothing wrong.  

I hope none of the above mentioned is embarrassed either.  I'm not apologizing for something a few immature males did.  

I so agree with you Annabelle. 

As I read through this thread I am amazed by the number of women who want to tar and feather this guy and then place him in front of a firing squad.  Many would volunteer to pull the trigger. Fanatics who are overzealous are just so wrong especially when it is obvious these women have been wronged in their own lives and will not stop until they see someone/anyone get what they think is coming to them - over and over and over again as their own drama remains unresolved.  

I couldn't agree with you guys more!