Respected Contributor

Re: Ryan Lochte...his behavior/lies continue...

A Brazilian judge has stated that no one but the State can decide a dollar amount for damages when one person feels another owes them for alleged vandalism and that the security guards were police officers working off duty in a second job and they did flash their police badges and guns.   As predicted, much more information is coming out. 

Esteemed Contributor

And now there's stories on facebook tonight through news medias that the Brazilians said they didn't "exactly" tell the entire truth either. So there you have it. Everyone lied.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

I don't have time to read every post.  But I will say that he simply used poor judgement.  And frankly, I don't think his endorsement deals should have been pulled.  No one is perfect.  He paid up,  He apologized.  Let it go.  He is still a great athlete and I hope he is allowed to swim in the next Olympics.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@truffle wrote:

A Brazilian judge has stated that no one but the State can decide a dollar amount for damages when one person feels another owes them for alleged vandalism and that the security guards were police officers working off duty in a second job and they did flash their police badges and guns.   As predicted, much more information is coming out. 

The other guy who was held in Brazil until he paid a ransom for his passport is also talking, and he pretty much confirms the guns drawn story. There is more than meets the eye here, despite the fact that Lochte set the whole thing in motion. Brazil has not been forthcoming with the details either, but they are gradually coming out, including other witness reports. I think based on some of the video and other accounts that the guys were rowdy and obnoxious, and there was a shakedown. The the authorities went on that plane and took the three off the plane, let two go, and held the other one up for ransom, probably because he also said there were guns drawn. It's a huge mess on both continents.

Esteemed Contributor

@RainCityWoman

@truffle

Shocker...USA Today Sports actually conducted an investigation in an attempt to find the facts!  

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/08/21/investigation-ryan-lochte-rio-olym...

There's no doubt this whole incident would have never happened if these men had not been drinking, but I don't buy the "ugly American" narrative...I'm more inclined to buy a "corrupt third-world cops" narrative.  

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Trusted Contributor

So he will be on dancing with the stars, is it not amazing the "opportunites" that is coming his way.  I have heard of a term that is perfect for this situation, it is called "privilege" where people are given a "pass" for something while others would have dragged in the mud.  You have to love the USA.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!