Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ryan Lochte, et. al: THEY LIED

@Drythe wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

An anonymous source talking and giving details about an on going investigation, that they are not authorized to give to the press.

Brazil is known to be corrupt, with the police on the take.

I smell a cover up by the authorities, to try and make the truth go away.

Dirty beaches, dirty water, dirty police.

Never trust the police when in a foreign country.

@Plaid Pants2

I have not found this to be the true.  

What countries have you visited that you found this to be the case?

Look at how the police railroaded that girl in Italy, and that is not even mentioning the hostages that are being held in other countries around the world.

When one leaves this country, it's best to remember that the U.S. protections don't always follow you.

Trusted Contributor

I wish I could say that I don't believe what I'm reading here but I can't say that. Gabby Douglas was ripped a new one and these drunken privileged males are given a pass. Unbelievable.
Esteemed Contributor

We haven't heard the Americans speak, yet. Lochte has a bad "record" for the same kind of violations in the past. That doesn't look good. The news sounds bad for the swimmers. This is not a world shaking crime, but if true, it certainly is an embarrassment for our country and has taken away from the beauty of the Olympics.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

An anonymous source talking and giving details about an on going investigation, that they are not authorized to give to the press.

Brazil is known to be corrupt, with the police on the take.

I smell a cover up by the authorities, to try and make the truth go away.

Dirty beaches, dirty water, dirty police.

Never trust the police when in a foreign country.

@Plaid Pants2

I have not found this to be the true.  

What countries have you visited that you found this to be the case?

Look at how the police railroaded that girl in Italy, and that is not even mentioning the hostages that are being held in other countries around the world.

When one leaves this country, it's best to remember that the U.S. protections don't always follow you.

@Plaid Pants2

Yep, I read the news.

I was asking about your personal experience because I've not found this generalization be true.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

You think Olympian, role model.  Not these guys.

Honored Contributor

We all have to remember to be on our 'best behavior' when traveling within other countries.  Especially if travelers are well-known.  Things can quickly get out of hand. and laws (and justice systems (if available)) aren't the same as ours over here.  There really should be some type of protocol for Olympic competitors, and everyone else within the Olympic realm.  Better to be safe than sorry.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@GCR18   I may be a rare one with this: I have NEVER used an athlete as a role model in my life OR as one for my children.  I know many do and it's something I simply disagree with doing.

Respected Contributor

@nun ya wrote:

They broke stuff, paid for it and left. They weren't charged or held at the time.

So...why the big drama story? 

@nun ya DRUNKS say & do stupid things. 

Once our media got a hold of the story via Lochte's mother the drama started.  

Esteemed Contributor

I believe the swimmers in question got drunk, committed vandalism, were caught be security and there was a language barrier.  Locate embellished the truth and got caught.  It's a blackened for US but image if Lochte's roommate, Phelps, hadn't left his hard party days behind and had been in the taxi:  a mess!

Valued Contributor

@JillyMarie wrote:
I wish I could say that I don't believe what I'm reading here but I can't say that. Gabby Douglas was ripped a new one and these drunken privileged males are given a pass. Unbelievable.

@JillyMarie wrote:

Who said they are being given a pass?  Gabby should have been called out. She was a disrespectful jealous brat