Respected Contributor

Re: Ryan Lochte and 3 other Olympic swimmers robbed at gunpoint in Rio

I think being very inebriated after partying into the wee hours has a lot to do with the varying details of the story.  I just hope the other two swimmers are not detained and that it doesn't turn into a horror story for them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Another theory I was reading is that RL could have been teasing with his mom , and then she went to the media (thinking it really did happen). Now his version is a mess.

Honored Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

I would be shocked if Lochte lied about all of this.  Shocked.

He's won 12, 13 gold medals.  He's an elite athlete.  I doubt he would risk losing his reputation for lying about this. 

It seems very strange...

It does seem very strange.  A friend of mine told me that Lochte had a reality show for awhile.  I didn't know anything about that but my friend said that Lochte is "pretty dim".  When he (Lochte) told the reporter that after the guy with the gun told him to get down for the second time and he said "whatever", I thought, who the heck would say "whatever" to a person holding a gun at their head?

Dim or lying.  Or both.

I honestly don't know. 

Why would he lie about it?  Why would someone make that up? 

Beats me.  Maybe he thought it was funny.  That would certainly come under the "dim" category.  Guys out drinking who think this would be a good joke.

Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

Another theory I was reading is that RL could have been teasing with his mom , and then she went to the media (thinking it really did happen). Now his version is a mess.

Great way to tease your mother, telling her someone in Rio put a gun to your head.

And if she went to the media I'm assuming he didn't tell her he was joking.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What a mess.  Things aren't adding up and stories keep changing.  I think they all felt they could get in trouble for being out too late and so drunk that they made up the story.  It certainly didn't make sense when they reported that they were alllowed to keep their credentials and their cell phones.  What about their passports?  Wouldn't crooks keep cell phones?  Video evidence is damning them for sure.  Sources in Rio are saying they have video of them fighting with security guards after doing some damage to a bathroom.  Maybe that's where guns were pulled and the guys were told to get down on the ground.

Lochte is home free and his buddies are left to suffer the consequences.  I don't konw about RL's endorsement deals, but I have a feeling they'll be going down the tubes.  Stupid, stupid, stupid on all their parts.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There's video of them going through Olympic Village Security 

around 4-6:00am...looking very jovial & upbeat. 

Adds another 'bullishhhh' to the story. 

---------

And the same evening his friends/teammates are being DETAINED in a foreign country, Ryan Lochte's most important tweet is....he's changing his hair color.  And even if his tweet was before the detainment, delete the tweet...it makes you look like a douche...or bigger douche as he is.

image.jpeg

Honored Contributor

I can't help speculating that one of them is going to break soon.  I have a feeling that, IF this story is untrue, they followed him.  But now, it's getting too hot for them to keep it up.

Since there is too much that is not adding up, from fact-based evidence such as videos and other testimonies, it seems like they may have just come up with this story to cover for what they were really doing.

I also agree with another poster that one MUST be more careful than usual in other countries.  I've been in many countries and - well, trust us - you have to watch out and be aware of your surroundings.

I've also spent time in Barcelona and it didn't seem that unsafe, but it was over 40 years ago, so I don't doubt that things could change.  The only things that made us feel wary were the guys with really big guns standing guard in numerous places.   But we walked all over that place for a week and did have a great time before spending our second week in Sitges on the beach.  Smiley Happy   I had always wanted to go to Spain so this was a dream for me.

Honored Contributor

I just saw that they perpetrated some property damage and maybe this is why they are trying to create a cover of being robbed.

Respected Contributor

Ugh.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

I just saw that they perpetrated some property damage and maybe this is why they are trying to create a cover of being robbed.

NY Times:

Four U.S. swimmers were not robbed, Brazilian officials said, but instead made up the incident after damaging a gas station door.