Respected Contributor

Re: Ryan Lochte and 3 other Olympic swimmers robbed at gunpoint in Rio

[ Edited ]

I would be shocked if Lochte lied about all of this.  Shocked.

He's won 12, 13 gold medals.  He's an elite athlete.  I doubt he would risk losing his reputation for lying about this. 

It seems very strange...

Honored Contributor

NBC released videos of the timeline of the US swimmers on the day in question and at least two videos does not match up with Lochte's police statements.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

IMO something did take place. Is it possible they were doing something wrong and cops pulled them over (or they were just out and about)? They were let go because they are in the Olympics.

Honored Contributor

Well...I am going to "side eye" Lochte on this one.  Based upon news items in the past and recent history...he has a tendancy to be not-quite-bright, immature, superficial, and egocentric.  My son is a swimmer and his teammate qualified for the trials.  This is just not the one to look up to.....I am biting my tongue right now....show me some data/info!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Respected Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

IMO something did take place. Is it possible they were doing something wrong and cops pulled them over (or they were just out and about)? They were let go because they are in the Olympics.

Maybe Lochte isn't being truthful.

It's all very strange...

Esteemed Contributor

@MickD wrote:

Well...I am going to "side eye" Lochte on this one.  Based upon news items in the past and recent history...he has a tendency to be not-quite-bright, immature, superficial, and egocentric.  My son is a swimmer and his teammate qualified for the trials.  This is just not the one to look up to.....I am biting my tongue right now....show me some data/info!

My daughter told me he isn't the brightest bulb and not smart enough to make this up.

I love Bossa Nova and had always fantasized about walking on Ipanema beach at sunset. HA!  Rio is  not safe, the Olympic venue was thrown up in a slap dash manner, Zika virus, and the unsanitary conditions have persuaded me to stay home.

I wouldn't go there if I had an all expense trip offered to me.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I watched as Bob Costa along with Matt Lauer explain the inconsistencies in the swimmer's story. One video was a from the street where they said to have been robbed at the time they claimed to be held up, it showed nothing. Another was the video of the group retuning to Olympic Village happy and jovial after six in the morning. It was also mentioned on NBC that people were questioned at the night club where the group was seen partying and that they left later then they said they did. Something is not right here and I would not like to think that they used the bad reputation of Rio and made up this story. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@MyGirlsMom - we'll have to see about Lochte.  My friend went to Brazil a few years ago..half vaca and half volunteer work.  Her son, who was about 14 at the time went to go skateboard, and a short time later came back with the cr@d kicked out of him.  Landed in the ER with a broken arm.  My friend was a little naive, and appalled at what had happened. Wuh? I told her - there is no middle class....many people are starving and angry, while the uppercrust....well is the uppercrust.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Esteemed Contributor

@MickD wrote:

@MyGirlsMom - we'll have to see about Lochte.  My friend went to Brazil a few years ago..half vaca and half volunteer work.  Her son, who was about 14 at the time went to go skateboard, and a short time later came back with the cr@d kicked out of him.  Landed in the ER with a broken arm.  My friend was a little naive, and appalled at what had happened. Wuh? I told her - there is no middle class....many people are starving and angry, while the uppercrust....well is the uppercrust.

@MickD  Thank God he was/is okay! 

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

Were they later to a mandatory event? Trying to figure out why they would need to make it up.