Respected Contributor

Re: Ryan Lochte and 3 other Olympic swimmers robbed at gunpoint in Rio

My news reported that Lochte is in the U.S. now, but they still want to confiscate his passport?  How does that work?

Honored Contributor

SaRina wrote:

My news reported that Lochte is in the U.S. now, but they still want to confiscate his passport?  How does that work?

I know, right?   Perhaps they think he'll fly back down there so that they can confiscate his passport and charge him with something.   ha!  Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

It doesn't.  They are out of luck.

I am curious about his account of the incident.  Conflicting accounts of what happened and videotape of him/his friends returning to Athletes Village that night - relaxing and joking.

Honored Contributor

MJ12 wrote:

SaRina wrote:

It doesn't.  They are out of luck.

I am curious about his account of the incident.  Conflicting accounts of what happened and videotape of him/his friends returning to Athletes Village that night - relaxing and joking.

Yeah, I guess there seems to be some evidence that what they said either never happened, or something else entirely actually did happen. 

I wonder why he left so soon?  Don't the athletes, or at least the most accomplished ones, stay for the closing ceremonies?  I could be wrong.  But that's what I thought.

Honored Contributor

sounds like there are two conflicting stories about the incident between two of the swimmers. not sure if this will go anywhere now that lochte is out of the country. i wonder why he didnt stay for the closing ceremonies? not sure about the other swimmer in question. i had heard that the investigation is interested in obtaining cell phone records to see if they were in the place they said they were at the time of the incident. i also heard that they cannot locate the taxi driver.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Hi @chickenbutt : )   I think it's sort of common for some athletes to come home when their events are finished.  Katy Ledecky came back to Bethesda already, she starts Stanford in a week or two. 

Respected Contributor

The story gets more odd every time I hear it. I, too, heard Lochte is back in the US, but the other/others (?) are still in Rio. I've heard everything from the account by Lochte is accurate to they were all drunk and made it up.  Who knows. I hope it can get sorted out and that Lochte and the others remain safe.

Honored Contributor

Ok, I just have to say I like Ryan Lochte and I more than appreciate and celebrate his contributions to our Olympic efforts but for me he has never been the brightest bulb in the chandelier as evidence by that horrible reality show on E!.

I don't mean to argue this point but this for me stunk from the beginning as I cannot believe the US Olympic Commitee didn't provide protection and more importantly guidance to our athletes.  I had a ton of questions after this story first surfaced that have not been answered to this day.  He was the only one that challenged these guys and refused to get out of the taxi and had a gun pointed at his head?  C'mon.

This story has always bothered me as he called his mom who then called media outlets in turn.  Not buying it.

Look, I don't know what actually happened but my guess is those guys did something not cool and are now trying to cover their trackss.  He's a big goofy kid but dumping on an already more than dumped on Rio Olympics is not (for me) cool.

Honored Contributor

Hi Chloe's Mom!   Well, I really hope that they didn't do anything for which they are covering, but I have a feeling we might not ever find out what, if anything, happened that night.

It sure does have a weird feel about it, though, doesn't it?  

Respected Contributor

From the little I've seen of him, Lochte doesn't strike me as the most mature man.  (He's 32, I believe).

Meanwhile, Phelps has also arrived at home.