QVC Customer Care

Re: Ryan Lochte and 3 other Olympic swimmers robbed at gunpoint in Rio

Honored Contributor

There have been a lot of things that have happened in Rio during these Olympics.

I'm not exactly sure what happened with Lochte but apparently part of the reason why officials thought something was amiss was because Lochte changed is story.  And it has been reported that they were all so inebriated, they couldn't give an adequate description of the men who pulled them over or the getaway car.

Amy Robeck was in Rio last week and is now back.  She said she and part of her crew were in a cab and they were pulled over but she knew this was happening to people and they were being robbed. She said she told the cab driver to just keep driving and not to stop.  She had no idea what was going to happen but she wasn't going to take a chance. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@Mellie32 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I've really enjoyed watching the Olympics, always do.  But how in the world was this God forsaken place chosen?  Triathalon competitors told not to open their mouths in the water, a kayaker capsized when he colided with a sofa in the water, the indoor pools turning green, terrible living conditions for the athletes, and now this?!?!?!

A sofa??

Incredible, isn't it, @Mellie32?  SMH  When everyone thinks of Rio, they think of the tourist attractions and party life, but the conditions and filth are deplorable with garbage all over the place. 

This may not be true because I honestly don't even remember where I heard this reported but I did hear that the men's Olympic basketball team rented a yacht and is staying on it because they didn't want to be in the city for safety reasons. 

Again, not sure how accurate this is. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@Mellie32 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I've really enjoyed watching the Olympics, always do.  But how in the world was this God forsaken place chosen?  Triathalon competitors told not to open their mouths in the water, a kayaker capsized when he colided with a sofa in the water, the indoor pools turning green, terrible living conditions for the athletes, and now this?!?!?!

A sofa??

Incredible, isn't it, @Mellie32?  SMH  When everyone thinks of Rio, they think of the tourist attractions and party life, but the conditions and filth are deplorable with garbage all over the place. 

This may not be true because I honestly don't even remember where I heard this reported but I did hear that the men's Olympic basketball team rented a yacht and is staying on it because they didn't want to be in the city for safety reasons. 

Again, not sure how accurate this is. 

@Lipstickdiva, yep!  Team USA's Ship

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/08/04/usa-basketball-cruise-ship-rio-car...

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

I saw that and that is pathetic. I heard there is a lot of crime over there all the time. I also read they spent millions upon millions upon...to have the Olympics there and they're country is broke!

SO, I don't understand why they then pick places like this TO have Olympics. Look at their cruddy water and all, in the pool and in other areas our athletes had to go in. Id be afraid of getting a disease!

Oh I love to the Olympics dont get me wrong, but I just think whoever is making decisions on where to have them doesn't have much common sense. (not just about crime, crime is everywhere but I mean about all of the other things I listed here).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U, there is only one thing to understand as to the "why" - big bribe money, plain and simple. The IOC is almost as corrupt as FIFA (soccer federation). First World countries don't need to resort to out-and-out buying of a venue, but bribes are the gas, wheels & grease of many countries who are not First World. In this particular choice of city, it has 'sploded in their face and put them on the hot seat with the entire world asking why. They'll need to be more careful in the future.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh no!!! I hope my Boo is okay!!??

Smiley Batts Lashes Smiley Face, Emoticon

Seriously though, that is AWFUL!! They warned that things like that might happen. I was also horrified to hear about the policeman being killed for simply turning down the wrong road! Geez. But, of course, we only get this pretty, bright, cheerful view of  Rio from the Olympics. We will hear more horror stories after the Olympics are done.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

"they got down on the ground. I refused, I was like we didn't do anything wrong, so — I'm not getting down on the ground."

"And then the guy pulled out his gun, he cocked it, put it to my forehead and he said, 'Get down,' and I put my hands up, I was like 'whatever.'"

17bryf0v13at1gif.gifWho in da hell does he think he is? 

@Mz iMac

Girl, you are crazy

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Rio is a hell hole.  It's been one of the most dangerous cities in the world for quite awhile.

I heard a news reporter mention VERY QUICKLY (she actually said she was mentioning it because she "had to - Lochte being a high profile athlete (guess the non high profile ones don't matter if they're robbed or worse) and then moved on to the "pretty Rio" and the rest of the news.

Honored Contributor

There seems to be some more stuff going on with this story now - 

I was watching CNN and saw a couple of pieces about them, allegedly, misrepresenting what went on, if anything really DID happen and now the police there are wanting them to reliinquish their passports and bring them in.

Not sure ALL the new story, however, and Lochte (and possibly the others) has already left the country.