Respected Contributor

Re: Ryan Lochte and 3 other Olympic swimmers robbed at gunpoint in Rio

[ Edited ]

@terrier3 wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

I saw the headline in the Daily Mail, but I didn't read the article for details.  My question was how these Olympic athletes were unable to defend themselves.  Couldn't they just have beaten the bejesus out of their attackers?

Guys with GUNS???

I don't think so...

Well, that would explain it, @terrier3.  It's good that they weren't shot dead.  Too bad the BAD GUYS and not the GOOD GUYS had the guns this time.

Honored Contributor

This isn't the first occurrence of an athlete getting mugged/robbed before/during these games by criminals using the exact same modus operandi. I forget who it was - an Australian?  Everyone knows their cops ARE corrupt, so it's not really questioned, and not always clear, whether they are thieves pretending to be cops, or ARE cops. And with the guns the victims don't really care.

LOL that the rest of the world is always criticizing the US for being a gun society. Brazil is nicely proving we aren't the only ones.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

When you travel anywhere you have to always be aware of your surroundings .Now a days even going to the mall. Rio is no Disney World even for athletics. 

Honored Contributor

They are lucky they weren't hurt.

Honored Contributor

I'm not defending Rio,  because it is a mess, but this sort of thing can happen anywhere, unfortunately.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I'm so glad they're all OK. I think it's always amazing how these Olympic venues "clean up their acts" when hosting the Olympics. If I didn't know what actually went on in Brazil, watching the NBC coverage I would think it was paradise! Smiley Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

DH and I were in Rio 5 years ago.  Of course, we stayed in one of the nicer hotels and decided to wear no jewelry (not even wedding rings).  We have travelled all over the world and Rio was nice-- and very dangerous.  We personally met a number of people who got mugged and one guy who almost had his finger cut off because he couldn't get his ring off.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is this in addition to the athlete that had $20,000 stolen from his room the other day?

(why he had that much cash on him is anyone's guess but he did and it was removed by an OLYMPIC staff member in the hotel). The robber was arrested, btw.

Respected Contributor

That's terrible.   Very scary 

Esteemed Contributor

Thankfully, they are all ok and not dead.  This could have had a tragic ending.  I would never have chosen Rio for this venue.  I am also surprised that the athletes were not required to have an armed guard with them as they traveled about, even though I think they were only going to the Olympic Village, which should have been safe.  Rio is absolutely not a safe city no matter the event.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!