Respected Contributor

Ryan Lochte and 3 other Olympic swimmers robbed at gunpoint in Rio

Respected Contributor

Re: Ryan Lochte and 3 other Olympic swimmers robbed at gunpoint in Rio

I saw the headline in the Daily Mail, but I didn't read the article for details.  My question was how these Olympic athletes were unable to defend themselves.  Couldn't they just have beaten the bejesus out of their attackers?

Respected Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

I saw the headline in the Daily Mail, but I didn't read the article for details.  My question was how these Olympic athletes were unable to defend themselves.  Couldn't they just have beaten the bejesus out of their attackers?

USA Today and Fox Sports Australia both said Lochte was robbed and had his wallet stolen.

According to Access Hollywood, Lochte told Billy Bush, ""We got pulled over, in the taxi, and these guys came out with a badge, a police badge, no lights, no nothing just a police badge and they pulled us over," Lochte said. "They pulled out their guns, they told the other swimmers to get down on the ground — they got down on the ground. I refused, I was like we didn't do anything wrong, so — I'm not getting down on the ground

"And then the guy pulled out his gun, he cocked it, put it to my forehead and he said, 'Get down,' and I put my hands up, I was like 'whatever.'"
Honored Contributor

I read that the robbers were dressed as the police and they were armed.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

You'll have to read legitimate news sources to get the facts.  They were pulled over by men posing as police and were held at gunpoint.

Thank God no one decided to be a hero over a few dollars and they're alive and safe

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Super Contributor

This info was the first thing I saw when I went on-line early this morning (Eastern Time).  Patrick Sandusky, spokesman for the U.S. Olympic Committee, was quoted as saying this is absolutely not true.  Here it is 6 hours later and now he is saying it is true.   What the?????

Trusted Contributor

I find it very odd that he apparently called his mom right after it happened and told her about it – which she later reported to the media. Then, his trainer & the IOC issued a statement stating that it is not true – he was not robbed. It is clear by this article that a son told his mother the truth and that this smells like a cover-up to make the choice of the IOC to hold the games in Rio (with the many problems they have experienced) seem not to have been a poor choice. Wonder what else they are covering up? It must have been difficult for Ryan to be caught in the middle of the truth (as told by his mother) and what his trainer and the IOC wanted him to say…which would have been a lie and made his mother look foolish. Good that he spoke up with the truth!
Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Esteemed Contributor

It DID happen. The networks are covering the event. It's very scary and brings to mind the importance of safety when traveling abroad. The authorities were so worried about terrorism that they ignored good old fashioned criminality. It's not funny and would make me think twice about traveling to Rio.

Honored Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

Guys with GUNS???

I don't think so...

Honored Contributor

"they got down on the ground. I refused, I was like we didn't do anything wrong, so — I'm not getting down on the ground."

"And then the guy pulled out his gun, he cocked it, put it to my forehead and he said, 'Get down,' and I put my hands up, I was like 'whatever.'"

17bryf0v13at1gif.gifWho in da hell does he think he is? 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif