Honored Contributor

Re: Ruth Ginsberg special on CNN

[ Edited ]

@SydneyH wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Annabellethecat66, the name of the channel was clearly spelled out in the heading for the thread.

If I saw a show recommended on a channel I refuse to watch, I'd pass by the thread. We don't have to constantly remind one another of our strong dislikes.

Why should she have to do that?  Her feedback regardless of other's approval is just as worthy as anyone else's. 

@SydneyH, we must have different opinions on what constitutes feedback.

Perhaps, but from what I can tell, if it doesn't fit one's agenda, the uproar begins, which I find kind of funny.  It's all good because nobody's mind is going to be changed by anything posted here imo.

I'm truly sorry you feel that way, @SydneyH.   I genuinely don't feel what we're talking about involves agendas — it's about the way we express our feedback.   Also, regarding changed minds, I've learned so much from other posters and that's one of the gratitudes I hold dear for this Community and one reason I continue to read and post.   So I hope not everyone feels our disparate perspectives could never have a useful impact.   I've actually changed my mind on some issues after reading the opinions other posters thoughtfully and respectfully shared and explained, and that makes me all the more appreciative of those who believed it was worth their valuable time and effort to post.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@SydneyH  OT post:  Are you going to give "The Mayans" a view tonight?

Dunno girl, that's like cheating on Jax, lol. 

Aw, that's just the Tara in you talking, Smiley Wink

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Respected Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

I have often wondered where we as women might be if not for RBG.

I clearly remember when DH and I bought our home after being married a couple of years when I purchased a refrigerator for the house.  Even though we had more than enough money in the account to pay cash, I opted to purchase the refrigerator on what was then 90 days same as cash.  I just thought that would be the prudent thing to do as a new home owner and not knowing what other expenses might turn up quickly that we had not anticipated.

At the store, they would not let me sign the papers alone.  My husband was going to have to come in and "co-sign" the papers at the point of sale.  Here I was an experienced nurse, had a good salary, had been steadily employed for several years...but because I was a female I couldn't apply for the 90 days same as cash without my husband's signature.  Told them to forget it.  Went to another store, picked out another refrigerator and paid for it in cash. This was 1979, so while it was a while ago, it wasn't all that long ago.

It is sometimes difficult to remember the days when women were not seen to have value outside of being a Mom and a homemaker.

I am grateful as I sit here decades later with the many strides that have been made in the advancement of recognizing that women can certainly work in all kinds of areas and are capable of being responsbile for their own finances and credit.  And RBG was crucial in that progress, so I am certainly grateful for the work she has done.   

Your experience, and that of so many other women, is why Justice Ginsburg matters. That's the point, not what network the show is on. The topic is the show and Justice Ginsburg, not the network. Forest and trees.  

As shown in the special she also advanced the cause of equality for men as caregivers and parents.

@Greeneyedlady21, yes there are many of us that had those type of experiences and worse.  My husband was active at the national level of a Vietnam Veterans organization for many years.  As a result of that, I had the priviledge of meeting many female veterans.  And not just nurses, I met women that served in the Marines and Army that held other positions in the service other than healthcare.  You should hear some of the stories they could tell. Oh my goodness!  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Sorry for the off topic but now I'm po'd again over that freaking credit card.

LOL

@Cakers3, boy do I know the feeling!!  My blood pressure went up several notches as I was remembering that incident and then typing it!  Just brought back how angry I was that since I was married, even though I had excellent credit, money, a job, etc.  my signature on that paper wasn't good enough.  In fact, I boycotted that business after that experience, then they went out of business several years later.  I knew at the time that it wasn't just that business, everyone else was doing the same thing.  But it didn't matter, it was the principle & how they made me feel.  So I never shopped with them again. 

And I know exactly what you are talking about in regard to the credit card!  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

Here goes.  I have to ask.  Why do any(some) of us seem to be side-tracked by a network that we may feel biased against,  and allow it to stop us from watching something that may be of historic or educational value?  

Are we all so suspicious of the "others" that we fear subliminal transmissions being sent out?

Are we afraid the information gleaned from a particular program is infectious?  Will liberals wake up tomorrow and suddenly become conservatives or vice versa?  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

Ok, Cardinals just won.....  Now it's time to go to bed.  It's been a long long day.

Honored Contributor

ThereRe: Ruth Ginsberg special on CNN

[ Edited ]

@RoughDraft wrote:

Here goes.  I have to ask.  Why do any(some) of us seem to be side-tracked by a network that we may feel biased against,  and allow it to stop us from watching something that may be of historic or educational value?  

Are we all so suspicious of the "others" that we fear subliminal transmissions being sent out?

Are we afraid the information gleaned from a particular program is infectious?  Will liberals wake up tomorrow and suddenly become conservatives or vice versa?  

There's no 'side-track' because this so-called network has shown time and time again, they have no credibility.  Done with it, don't begrudge anyone who may have missed the memo.

QVC Customer Care

Contributor

Re: ThereRe: Ruth Ginsberg special on CNN

@SydneyH wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

There's no 'side-track' because this so-called network has shown time and time again, they have no credibility.  Done with it, don't begrudge anyone who may have missed the memo.

That's is your opinion which is great since we all have opinions but when you add that people who don't agree "may have missed the memo" that's a pretentious insult imo.

Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

I admire her to the nth degree and beyond. What a life, what a woman. And a man, her late husband, who believed in her and was not threatened in any way by her success. What a beautiful relationship they had.

Excellent show.

ITA! I learned so much I didn't know before watching. Glad we were able to see it. Smiley Happy