Honored Contributor

Re: Ruth Ginsberg special on CNN

All of you have admirably advanced your perspective in this discussion.  I am in awe of the clear and on-point thinking and writing skills of the people on this forum.  This is a non-partisan compliment, by the way.  

But, the inevitable has happened.  We have again met that impasse for most of us.  The truth is, as I have long suspected and had recently confirmed somewhere (do not recall where exactly -- apologies), studies have shown that political beliefs are founded more in the viscera than the mind.  No, not in the gut literally but figuratively.  Your political beliefs are an inchoate mish-mash of your particular set of values, your background, your physical being (large amygdala or grey matter?) and myriad other factors you and I are not even aware of.

So, when one of us on one side of the never-ending debate criticizes the other, we are criticizing who that person is -- what he values and his worldview.  His or her worth.  It smarts.

What to do?   Speak civilly to one another and continue the discourse.  Try, as best we can, to meet in the middle.

Honored Contributor

I would like to get something straight on here now.  When I started this thread I did say it was on CNN.  Normally I don't watch CNN.  But, that was the only channel that was showing it.  No way would I try to sway anyone's choice of where to to watch something.  That is your own choice.  My sister is the one that told me about it and where it would be televised.  

Honored Contributor

There's nothing wrong with CNN.  No necessity to apologize.  I am satisfied, generally speaking, when I watch that network. 

If it rang a bell for some and they responded, that is their mindset and conditioning.  No one can halt another's beliefs.

However, we all can listen to and discuss the other side.  

Great country, the United States.

Respected Contributor

Yes @ShowMe, you did make that clear. I'm sure that is why many who have weighed in decided not to watch. Interesting, since CNN has produced many movies- including Blackfish, which was discussed at length on these forums. There didn't seem to be any partisanship for that.

Sometimes, the knee-jerk reaction to a thing keeps the person from learning something new and eye-opening. I'm not speaking about partisan documentaries- like Michael Moore or Dinesh D'Souza- I'm talking about journalistic documentaries like RBG, Blackfish, Glen Campbell -I'll Be Me, all shown on CNN.

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

Ruth Bader Ginsburg has purposefully, deliberately lived an extraordinary life of service.   Her accomplishments that some might try to portray as favoring only some Americans actually focused on helping all those who might be identified as "the least of these" -- men and women marginalized and who need and deserve an intelligent and compassionate light shone on situations which, when rectified and put right, actually benefit all people of good conscience.   It's sad and confusing that a large number of Americans who profess and argue for a credo of faith systems that are based in a "golden rule" to care for others as we would care for ourselves and our loved ones seem to forget this when certain tribal blinders and gaslighting tactics compress our view into a narrow, dark, and dangerous alleyway.

In addition, allowing ourselves to be in a vacuum of limited information sources all of which are closely associated with one another isn't something of which to be proud, not something that speaks well of us or our country.   Not at all.   The best and brightest in history were and are those who deliberately read, listened to, surrounded themselves not just with those who held the same views and beliefs but also those with opposing views.   Unless we aren't interested in learning anything (which is a frightening notion), we must know and understand and genuinely care about the reasons others hold different views.   Debate teams often are required to learn about and defend the opposing perspective -- I think all of us could learn a great deal from that.

Thank you for sharing @dooBdoo your unique and interesting thoughts. Rarely have I met anyone in the real world with such an open mind. You are a treasure here and I have learned so much from you.

Honored Contributor

I can't believe that this thread is still being debated. Two issues are now clear, the network which showed the documentary and the subject of the film. The two have nothing do do with with one another but the argument is still continuing. 

A question to those who have left negative comments; If the documentary was shown on the TLC network, would that have been better? 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

On Sunday nights when there is really nothing on TV to watch, some of the other news channels will have a special on.  They let us know early in the week what it will be.....if it is of interest to me, I will watch. 

But normally I watch HGTV because they show some very interesting shows about people looking for island homes, etc.  I am always interested in why people chose the home they are really going to want to live in and some of the changes they will be making.  

Honored Contributor

Jane Marple posed a very good, very thoughtful question above.

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

I can't believe that this thread is still being debated. Two issues are now clear, the network which showed the documentary and the subject of the film. The two have nothing do do with with one another but the argument is still continuing. 

A question to those who have left negative comments; If the documentary was shown on the TLC network, would that have been better? 

@JaneMarple.......that's a good question.  I would have watched it no matter what network showed it.  Sometimes you are funny.....and I got a chucklet out of your last question.....loved it.

Respected Contributor

@ShowMe wrote:

On Sunday nights when there is really nothing on TV to watch, some of the other news channels will have a special on.  They let us know early in the week what it will be.....if it is of interest to me, I will watch. 

But normally I watch HGTV because they show some very interesting shows about people looking for island homes, etc.  I am always interested in why people chose the home they are really going to want to live in and some of the changes they will be making.  

LOL! You and my husband would get along wonderfully. Between baseball and other sports, HGTV is always on the menu. Especially House Hunters and Island Living. He refuses to watch any "heavy" programs on the TV when he gets home from work. Including the news. He says if it's important enough, he'll hear about it at the watercooler at work. Or from me!