Valued Contributor

Re: Ruth Ginsberg special on CNN

Valued Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

No, I would not watch it.

I don't admire her at all.  That is MY opinion.

Hyacinth

I agree. 

Respected Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

Here goes.  I have to ask.  Why do any(some) of us seem to be side-tracked by a network that we may feel biased against,  and allow it to stop us from watching something that may be of historic or educational value?  

Are we all so suspicious of the "others" that we fear subliminal transmissions being sent out?

Are we afraid the information gleaned from a particular program is infectious?  Will liberals wake up tomorrow and suddenly become conservatives or vice versa?  

It's embarrassing.

Honored Contributor

People need to reflect on the issues-how their views of a particular issue had developed-the influences from home/peers/issue du jour-whatever.

The key is not to bash RBG for her decisions; the key is to understanding how our Constitution is in the forefront when the SC takes an issue under advisement.

We can dislike a certain issue for whatever reason; but it's the lack of understanding our Constitution that is troubling.  If we are unwilling to understand WHY rulings are made as they are-and that means both support and dissent-then we end up with one-sided thinking, blinders on, and off we go marching and flag waving because OUR perception is the only one to be considered.

Laws of the nations be darned.

As long as our SC is presenting constitutionally sound reasons for decisions, then so far so good.  I hope people are not looking for the SC to MAKE laws instead of interpreting what is set in place to protect the rights of every citizen.

I may not agree with an issue, but I certainly should at least look as to WHY a SC decision is made, even if my perception is different.

To just summarily dismiss a decison because it doesn't match what *I* would decide leads to division based on emotion and not sound interpretations of our laws of the land.

RBG isn't everyone's cup of tea, and that is fine.  But don't denigrate her for her decisions; instead dig deeper as to WHY she decides the way she does.  That is what is important.

I want my granchildren to undersand this just as I raised my son-question your belief system from time to time-what stirs you?  Why is the topic being decided by the SC the way it is, even if you don't like it?

Talk.  DIscuss.  Have your values, your views.  But understand that decisions are not based on emotions in our SC but on interpretations. 

Once you decide that the SC should swing only one way to suit your own beliefs, we have lost the ability to encompass the rights of all citizens. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

I wouldn't have an issue learning about any of the Justices of the SCOTUS. They have all had accomplishments worth knowing about. We become smarter as we become informed.

A female airforce recruit discovered that she was not receiving housing pay like her fellow recruits who were male. The female recruit thought it was a mistake and went to her leadership. It wasn't a mistake. Females weren't entitled to housing pay. Just because they were female.

A man's wife dies giving birth. He decides he will raise the child as a single father. He attempts to apply for Social Security survivor benefits, only to find out that Social Security survivor benefits are not applicable to males.

RBG argued both these cases before the SC. As a result laws were changed. There is nothing partisan in either of these cases- and many more in which RBG represented plaintiffs.

It's not an issue of party, it's an issue of fairness. How in the world could anyone disagree?

Respected Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

Here goes.  I have to ask.  Why do any(some) of us seem to be side-tracked by a network that we may feel biased against,  and allow it to stop us from watching something that may be of historic or educational value?  

Are we all so suspicious of the "others" that we fear subliminal transmissions being sent out?

Are we afraid the information gleaned from a particular program is infectious?  Will liberals wake up tomorrow and suddenly become conservatives or vice versa?  

It's embarrassing.

So would you watch Dinesh D'Souza's movies because they are on the other side?

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3

i have seen your quote numerous times on this board, but had no idea who peace pilgrim was. just looked her up quickly and read a little bit about her and her life. thank you! will be doing some further reading. Smiley Happy

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

It's embarrassing.

Apples and oranges. Dinesh D'Souza is a far right political commentator with an agenda. RBG is a documentary, not meant to sway the watcher one way or the other. Simply a look into her life, her family and her accomplishments.

Respected Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

It's embarrassing.

Apples and oranges. Dinesh D'Souza is a far right political commentator with an agenda. RBG is a documentary, not meant to sway the watcher one way or the other. Simply a look into her life, her family and her accomplishments.

Maybe you are right, haven't watched either one.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I don't watch that channel anyway.  Thanks for the warning.

@Annabellethecat66...this surprises me. You have often written at great length about your open mindedness and how you enjoy coming here to listen to views not your own. If I remember correctly you spoke of learning and growth. 

Perhaps I am confused and misunderstood.