Trusted Contributor

Re: Ruth Ginsberg special on CNN

@JaneMarple wrote:

What a great informative thread to go south. I believe it's being done deliberately to have it go poof. Mods don't poof it but close it if you must.

@JaneMarple

You Nailed It 

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Honored Contributor

@maestra wrote:

@JaneMarple  I did not state why I'm not watching-that would get the thread poofed.

It is the snarky commentary on my 'pass' that will get the thread closed.

I have other reasons for not watching... that's all.

I know that @maestra, and I agree with you that it wasn't necessary. :womanhappy:

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I think the reason people respond to posts like that, that are clearly nasty, is that it's generally known as threadcrapping.

There is no need to go into a positive thread, or any kind of 'I'm looking forward to seeing this' type of thread and post negative stuff, especially when it is very clearly politically motivated or just negative for the purpose of being hateful.

^^^^^^ this.

Well said @chickenbutt

Esteemed Contributor

Nothing wrong with posters putting in their two cents about which networks they like or hate. 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

I have often wondered where we as women might be if not for RBG.

I clearly remember when DH and I bought our home after being married a couple of years when I purchased a refrigerator for the house.  Even though we had more than enough money in the account to pay cash, I opted to purchase the refrigerator on what was then 90 days same as cash.  I just thought that would be the prudent thing to do as a new home owner and not knowing what other expenses might turn up quickly that we had not anticipated.

At the store, they would not let me sign the papers alone.  My husband was going to have to come in and "co-sign" the papers at the point of sale.  Here I was an experienced nurse, had a good salary, had been steadily employed for several years...but because I was a female I couldn't apply for the 90 days same as cash without my husband's signature.  Told them to forget it.  Went to another store, picked out another refrigerator and paid for it in cash. This was 1979, so while it was a while ago, it wasn't all that long ago.

It is sometimes difficult to remember the days when women were not seen to have value outside of being a Mom and a homemaker.

I am grateful as I sit here decades later with the many strides that have been made in the advancement of recognizing that women can certainly work in all kinds of areas and are capable of being responsbile for their own finances and credit.  And RBG was crucial in that progress, so I am certainly grateful for the work she has done.   

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@physicsnut wrote:
@ShowMe- why so constantly snarky?

That’s rich😂

Esteemed Contributor

@pitdakota I don’t know… I think if she was that critical to improving the state of women’s lives I would’ve heard about her before she became a Supreme Court justice. I didn’t see the show. Maybe someday when I have a little more time on my hands I’ll google her. 

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

What a great informative thread to go south. I believe it's being done deliberately to have it go poof. Mods don't poof it but close it if you must.

@JaneMarple Your response to me on page one was not very friendly. But it was late. Maybe you were just tired.

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Clearly she has a life worth studying. There is a film about her  called RBG..

That's what we're talking about. CNN aired the movie RBG. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@pitdakota I don’t know… I think if she was that critical to improving the state of women’s lives I would’ve heard about her before she became a Supreme Court justice. I didn’t see the show. Maybe someday when I have a little more time on my hands I’ll google her. 

@esmerelda, I believe RBG argued 6 gender discrimination cases before the Supreme Court, winning 5 of those cases.  I don't remember the total number of gender discrimination cases she took but the number is in the hundreds.  And that is all before she was ever  nominated to the Supreme Court.  Oh, and by the way......she was turned down for multiple jobs out of law school because she was a female.  Even male lawyers went to bat for her to be hired at certain law firms, but they would not hire her because she was female. Not because they didn't think she was qualified, nothing due to a stain on her reputation, not due to one single thing...except she was a woman. 

I think that played a large part in her starting to work with the ACLU on the women's projects, of which she help to start up at the time. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *